1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The clergy at our church are good with this. We know some in the congregation will not be, as there are a few who agreed to wait and see instead of following some of the others out the door. We don’t have the 2/3rds necessary to approve leaving via discernment process (our bishop pledged to hold the option open on the same terms as prior to General Conference in an attempt to stanch the bleeding). But we don’t know how many will go and if they will be content to part gracefully or go scorched earth on the way out the door.

But at least now we have clarity and a direction forward.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The Missouri Synod does not like organizations with secret handshakes.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It was a joke, but there is a truth in there, too. Sometimes we use gestures, thoughts, icons that can be static artifacts that are performative by their presence (icons, altars, sentimental items) or interactive iconographic material (personal libraries of books, music, videos, creative tools, or sporting equipment.) The marker for all of the above is that they serve to keep us on a path to better versions of ourselves. They serve as an idiolectic grammar for giving form to our inner monologue asking us to be good for goodness' sake.

What struck ne as screamingly ironic was the fact that the last Dean of Canterbury was unquestionably out and yet same-sex partner were not welcomed at Lambuth. That still hasn't changed.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I converted from Catholicism to Methodism after college. I went to a Catholic school for a couple of years and tolerated it but didn't like it. My mom was a hardcore Baptist but swung Catholic while I was in elementary school, and I sought a happy medium.

My mom loved her some wine, and I think she switched because it's not a sin for Catholics to drink.

Southern Baptists these days conflate politics with their faith, and I find that quite distasteful. I'll say Catholics are a political coin flip just depending on how hardcore they are on abortion. In that estimation I'd say Catholics won't be a major factor.

In full disclosure I equate God with the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, but I do recognize and appreciate the social role of religion in fellowship and the good that a lot of churches do.

Draft saved Draft deleted