1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fresno, Modesto Bees to cease Saturday print editions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The McClatchy papers -- like those above -- seem to be going one by one to six days a week. I think about a dozen have done so. I don't think it's based on printing sites, although I guess that could be part of it.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

FWIW, the Merced Sun-Star, which fills a gap in McClatchy's coverage of the Valley, has always been a six-day paper (weekender on Saturday).

3. HanSenSE

4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How likely will other McClatchy papers follow and how soon?

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We have been told (by an executive in our company) that three days of print is the lowest they can go without offering a refund or lower rate to print subscribers (“you get access to the e-Edition for free”!!)

In other words, the next stop after three delivery by mail print editions is digital only.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Good God. I never in my wildest dreams would have believed the newspaper industry would shrivel up and die in my lifetime.

8. HanSenSE

Merced only briefly had a Sunday paper, in the mid-90s (it was a disaster, trust me as a desker), so except for a few weekday editions, little change.

Sacramento? It is the mother ship and there are the Kings ...

9. HanSenSE

I want to like, but, you know ...

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the California or southeastern papers, but to see what’s left these days of the Olympia, Tacoma and especially Bellingham “daily” newspapers is very sad.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The line for “print is still the bulk of our revenue” is starting to cross the line of “print is the bulk of our costs” and the audience isn’t growing and never will. At this point, maintaining a print edition is less about serving subscribers than it is about running out the contracts of print advertisers.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted