1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Matt McHale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Birdscribe, Jul 14, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he and Van McKenzie can now share some jokes in the Great Newsroom in the Sky.

RIP.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I feel fortunate and privileged to have worked with Matt for as long as I did. Having the opportunity to pick the brain of a man so knowledgable and passionate is something every journalist should get the chance to experience. A truly great loss.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Paul O. weighs in, with a crazy story from SLC '02:

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=257

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dammit.

Matt was a good guy, very good journalist, and all-around class act and asset to where he worked.

RIP, Matt.

EDIT: Great story by Oberjuerge, buckweaver. The toe, the motivation to get up the mountain, wow.

And "Lovably crusty" is as good a description of Gordy Verrell as any.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Very nice piece by Paul O, buckweaver. Thanks for posting the link.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This has been the worst day of my career.
    Losing Matt exponentially worsens a dark day.
    Goodbye, Friend.

7. Alex Kimball

Alex Kimball New Member

Among his many, many attributes, Matt was one of the most genuine, nicest people I have ever met. I was lucky enough to work with him at the Daily News in the late '80s when I was just a pup. And even more lucky to be able to call him a friend ever since.

A few years ago he and I were on a panel together at an L.A. Times seminar for college sports writers. As I sat and listened to him field questions, I realized how much he truly loved journalism and how much he enjoyed passing that on to people who were just getting started.

Matt loved newspapers so much, it earned him a nickname on the Dodgers beat--Bag Lady--because he was always grabbing discarded out-of-town newspapers as he exited his flights.

So long Matt. We're going to miss you, pal.

8. RamonaShelburne

RamonaShelburne New Member

I've got tears in my eyes as I write this, as I have had since I got the call today that Matty had passed away. As one of those young writers Matt took the time to mentor, I can tell you that I feel truly blessed to have had that opportunity, and I know that so many of us around the country do too.

The list of people whose careers Matty has touched or inspired is quite a club. Marc Stein, Tim Brown, Marc Spears, to name just a few.

I can't tell you how many people came up to me or other Daily Newsers in the months since Matty's condition became public and told their own stories of how much Matt did for them, and how important a figure he was in their lives.

I was so glad to have the opportunity to visit him in Boston. Steve Dilbeck and I took turns calling friends and fellow writers and holding the speaker phone up to his ear so they could wish him well. I was never sure how much he heard, but I knew he felt it.

When Brad Turner, who covers the Lakers for the Riverside Press Enterprise, got on the phone and gave Matty a pep talk in the way only BT could, a little smile even came across his face.

That's what I've been holding onto today. That somewhere, deep down, Matty finally knew how much and how many people cared about him all over the country.

Matty wasn't the guy who lit up a room the second he walked into it. It took a while with Matty. But once you realized what a lovable, genuine guy he was, you'd run through a wall for him.

There was a part of me, and I'm sure all of us who knew him, that always wondered if he knew just how much people cared about him. One time, after a particularly sharp story he'd filed, I paid him a compliment and he seemed a little uncomfortable with it. He wasn't the kind of guy who liked being out in front of the camera, seeing his name in the paper or flashing across an ESPN scrawl. He was the glue guy: passionate, invaluable, totally selfless. Happiest when those he helped mentor succeeded.

To often, you don't realize how important those guys are to you until they're gone. But there's a warm spot in my heart, knowing that in his final months, we all knew, and more importantly, he knew.

I'd like to share a few links you all might appreciate.

Steve Dilbeck wrote an incredibly touching column today, eulogizing Matty.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_9882596

As did Daily News Executive Sports Editor, Kevin Modesti.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_9879800

The Daily News has also set up a guestbook for anyone who'd like to share their memories. We'll keep you posted on the funeral arrangements.
    http://www.legacy.com/LADailyNews/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=113406211

9. PaolaBoivin

PaolaBoivin New Member

During my formative years in this business, when my angst and self-doubt were never far behind, Matt always made me feel worthy. I clung to that for a long time. Class act, that guy.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This is sad news about a good guy. My sympathies to those of you who knew him better than I did.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Obviously I didn't know the gentleman but by the posts here and on the other thread, was highly respected in the biz.

RIP.

12. RamonaShelburne

RamonaShelburne New Member

Thought you all might enjoy this:

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2008/07/my-friend-matty.html

Draft saved Draft deleted