1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did ESPN discontinue the Sports Almanac?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SteveJRogers, Dec 4, 2009.

1. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers New Member

Been anticipating getting the brand spanking new one all Autumn, not knowing that ESPN ceased publishing it! :-[

Well, at least SI is still going, but does anyone know why ESPN decided to stop putting out these books? I'd assume that they'd be the best sellers among ANYTHING ESPN ever produces from their publishing arms?

My GOD, is everything going to cyberspace now? First TSN discontinues the official NBA and MLB guides and record books, and now this!

To say nothing about the lack of an NBA reference encyclopedia tome since Yao Ming was debuting for the Rockets, an NHL one since before that, and the year after the Colts won the Super Bowl for the NFL, and the second Red Sox championship for MLB.

Look, I love sites like Baseball-Reference.com just like the rest of us, but man, there is still something about having more than just what those sites have, without having to go to, say an ABA, WHA, AAFC, or hell even a freaking XFL website (which, along with the USFL and WFL were missing from ESPN's Pro Football Encyclopedias) website to find an obscure factoid about a long dead league.

Damn, I'm only 32 and I'm ranting about "the way things used to be!" Geez!

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

That's too bad. It was originally the Information Please Sports Almanac, edited (and conceived, I think) by Mike Meserole. That group still did most of the dirty work and ESPN stuck its name and a few essays in it. Maybe ESPN didn't want to front it anymore and the group couldn't find someone else.
    Better than the SI almanac in depth of history. Better typeface, too.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Am I crazy, or did World Almanac do a sports book once upon a time?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are crazy. But I also think you are right.

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I used to get the Information Please Sports Almanac for many years as a kid. Very informative ... good nighttime reading.

I remember it also had some kind of humor section. There was a picture of Jim Kelly pumping his fist on the sideline, with a caption that read: "Hey Jim Kelly! Show us how many Super Bowl rings you have!"

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I tried buying a copy of the Sports Almanac from a friend.

Turned out to be just the jacket covering up an issue of "Oh La La."

7. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers New Member

Hey, why don't you make like a tree, and get outta here!

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Who needs ESPN when you have this?:

[​IMG]

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It was the Information Please Almanac, and that has always played a distant second fiddle to the World Almanac, whose sales (I'm certain) have been slipping since the dawn of the Internet.

Cost-cutting move, perhaps? Too bad, because I enjoyed getting it.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, what are you lookin at, butthead?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Exactly. That good old red x sure does come in handy, doesn't it? :D

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

LOL, it was there a couple of days ago.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted