1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking into the paid market

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by bigdogdaver, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If anyone at the magazine gets paid, then the OP should get paid for a cover story. If you think your work has value to get paid for it, then why give it away? It seems silly.

2. AKap

AKap New Member

No, I totally agree that if others at that publication are getting paid, he should as well, especially if he's writing cover stories. I was just saying that if they refuse to pay him, but do throw some money at their other writers, he should at least keep the gig until he has another or simply no time for it. Maybe if he had another job and it came time for him to quit his current one due to lack of time/incentive, the current one would give in to his request for some monies. And even if not, it would show a strong character to stay with them as long as possible simply for purposes of writing pleasure. I guess I'm just trying to make the point of incentive besides a fiscal payout, but that usually ends up an entirely different argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted