1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GQ profiles Deadspin's Daulerio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201102/aj-daulerio-deadspin-brett-favre-story

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

There's one guy who had better not ever, ever, ever slip up.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Daulerio was on his 11th night in a row of drinking during the interview? Good grief.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He doesn't just need a shrink, he needs an intervention.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's what I took from the story:

1. Daulerio is a binge drinker.
    2. He's an asshole.
    3. He's obsessed with cocks.
    4. He thinks people screwing on the floors of bathrooms is news.

That about it?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

5. Applied for a job at ESPN and didn't get an interview.
    6. Has unresolved issues with women.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's aggravating, because he basically apologizes for the horrible news judgment he has...as if ruining a couple of people's lives is just part of the learning process of a young journalist.

The learning process includes minor spelling errors, lack of context to stories, and cliched writing -- not what he's done. Not firebombing every person and story he's ever run into.

I loved Deadspin in its infancy. I thought Will Leitch pushed most of the right buttons and created the perfect site for where sports journalism is (or perhaps was) heading.

Handing Deadspin over to someone without a respect for accuracy or even basic human dignity really pissed me off.

Magary is funny, if not repetitive. Craggs is good at what he does. But they never developed the site the way I think Leitch imagined. I think he wanted it to become an online newspaper that didn't take itself too seriously. A Gen Y newspaper.

Instead, it turned into TMZ. A site for the millenium generation. And the site's success will only spawn more of it.

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

If your basic natural instinct is to always be as hurtful as possible, which AJ's clearly is, you should be seeing a shrink. The fact that people's families are also affected by what happens to them came as some sort of new revelation to him, which tells you all you need to know.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

7. Runs a kick ass, incredibly successful website .

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LOL

Frank Deford is clucking at the sight.

Don't you have another "soccer sucks" column you can write, Frank?

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Eh, if you read "God Save The Fan," Leitch says what essentially inspired him to create Deadspin was the Ron Mexico-gave-me-herpes story, and that he couldn't believe ESPN ignored the lawsuit. It was when he realized the media organization that controlled the narrative of the sports landscape was too in bed with the people it was covering. So I'm not sure that quite fits with the "Generation Y" theory.

I feel like, in the traditional sports media, we spend a little too much time fretting over Deadspin's impact on traditional journalism. It's a different business, even if readers often can't tell the difference. I'd never have the stomach for what Daulerio does. But I can't tell you there is no value in it.

I think the saddest part of that story was clearly the part about the dad having a breakdown, begging him to take down the video of his daughter getting fucked on the bathroom floor. When Deadspin lampoons regular people -- not celebrities -- just for the yuks, that's when I feel a little ill for reading.

But then you think about how celebrities are real people too, and despite money, fame and arrogance, their families get hurt by this stuff too, and then your head starts to hurt.

Still, as we've said before, what I do and what Deadspin does is like comparing apples to muppets. So I don't fret over it too much.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

.... for morons who want to read the words "dong" and "fuck" in every variation, every three words.

Draft saved Draft deleted