1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuggets, Knicks make trade that brings neither closer to a title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 21, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree getting Anthony made them better.

I think they gave up more than they probably had to. And I think that was Dolan, and whatever stoop advises him. If Donnie Walsh had been running the show, they might still have Raymond Felton.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They won't be able to stop teams in the playoffs.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if Stoudamire or Anthony is in the top 12. Neither one really plays defense, and I imagine I could think of 12 guys I'd rather have than them, although we'd probably get to personal taste once we get past 10. Off the top of my head, and taking into account just this year and not going forward: Lebron, Durant, Garnett, Bryant, Gasol, Wade, Chris Paul, Derek Rose, maybe Rondo, Paul Pierce, Nash, Howard, Manu, Deron Williams, Blake Griffin, Dirk...

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What of the legends regarding Kobe's pre-draft workout, in which he used Dontae Jones (or one of those Mississippi State guys who came out that year) and Jerry West left chuckling to himself?

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

They won't win it this year. But now, with two bonafide superstars in the fold - adding a Chris Paul or Derron Williams or some other big-time point guard in the offseason - which is the plan -- will make them virtually unstoppable.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Had been debating with the wife about where Carmelo ranks among NBA players. We eventually agreed he was top 10, not top 5. So, I'm tooling around the Internet and I click on ESPN's web page. Now I've never read a Bill Simmons column, but he's got one sitting there in which he ranks the NBA's top 50. What the hell, I figure. I can always go to confession Sunday. So I click on the first of two parts. I see it starts with 50. I figure, "Don't need to scroll through these." I click off that and open part 2. Scroll all the way through. No Melo. "This can't be right," I think. Scroll again, a little slower. No Melo. Scroll one more time, thinking, "There's no way he's not in the top 25, right?" Still nothing. I click back on part 1. Scroll a little and notice he's at freaking No. 34! Now, I don't follow the NBA that much, and I've heard, in between insults, that Simmons knows his shit when it comes to professional hoops. What gives? Most people would rank him in the top 10. Why the vast discrepancy from someone who follows the league so obsessively?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Father I participated in premarital relations with my wife."

"Well, that's very serious, but a common sin. You will be forgiven with three Hail Marys and an Our Father."

"I impregnated her."

"Oh my that is really very serious, but you will be absolved with the Act of Contrition, seven Hail Marys and four Our Fathers."

"I also read a Bill Simmons piece."

"You know there's a nice Unitarian church down the street. You should go there."

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Simmons column is based on trade value, not ability. Because Melo is in the final year of his deal, he's a particularly flexible chip to move, which is what Simmons is basing it on.

By the way, here is the truth on the Kobe pre-draft stuff. He would only work out for certain teams, and Arn Tellem told people not to take him if he had not worked out for them because Kobe wasn't going to play for them, but later both Kobe and Tellem admitted it was a bluff and he would have played anywhere.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wouldn't that rank Anthony higher than No. 34, then?

Anyway, YGBFKM, top 10? Players better than Carmelo Anthony in the NBA (no particular order, with "better:" defined as some combination of more clutch, better defender, multi-faceted game, "I fear him," "I think he would play on one leg before Carmelo would," etc.):

LeBron James
    Kobe Bryant
    Dwyane Wade
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Pau Gasol
    Kevin Durant
    Derrick Rose
    Blake Griffin

Maybe Paul Pierce and Steve Nash. Rajon Rondo depending on what kind of offense the team runs.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You need to re-read the criteria for that column. It was not a ranking of the 50 best players, but rather a ranking of each players' "trade value", which takes into account other factors like contract length and amount (if overpaid it diminishes your value, underpaid it increases it, etc.), future upside and age.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I see what you did there.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Carmelo is essentially a wing version of Amare. All offense, pretty efficient shooting numbers, no defense, no rebounding, doesn't make teammates better.

Both are ball-stoppers.

I'm very interested to see how this will play out for them. I could definitely see a lot of fail here.

The Knicks needed another playmaker, preferably on both ends of the floor. They did not, however, need another scorer.

Draft saved Draft deleted