1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

Where's the sympathy for the unsung victim in all this...the poor microwave truck that gave it's life doing what it loved?

[​IMG]

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

What a surprise, it's leaning to the left.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He was a control freak, but didn't truly understand what was going on with Sandusky all those years.

I'm not sure we should be sullying vampires with the levels of weirdness this is reaching.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've changed my mind.

I've joined the chorus of people who think today's game, and the rest of the Penn State's season, should be cancelled.

For most of this week, I thought that would be unfairly punishing the players who had nothing to do with this scandal. But seeing them on the field now, preparing for the game as if nothing happened, sickens me. No moments of silence or fundraising for the victims will change the fact that the team played its game as if nothing happened.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

ESPN just showed a shot of Penn State players in a huddle on return from a commercial break.

Corso could be heard saying "Where's the little kid at?"

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, the reality is very unseemly. Rationally I understand why they're playing, but honestly, when you mix in the bombast from the gameday crew, etc., this is close to sickening ...

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Oh for crissakes, it's a football game. A diversion for five or six hours for these players, who have been through a shitstorm this week. (Admittedly nothing like Sandusky's victims, but I don't think everything needs to meet a moral equivalency test, does it?)

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You don't see how people could see what TV is talking about and be disgusted?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned it earlier, but if a History professor had been arrested for the same crimes Sandusky was arrested for, they wouldn't shut down the History Department, right?

It's not a perfect analogy, and I'm uncomfortable with the scene as well, I'm just not sure canceling the game, the season, or the program is the right thing to do.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Admittedly I'm not giving Gameday my full attention here, I'm trying to juggle a few other things. But what I've seen so far hasn't been outwardly celebratory. Football players huddle together before a game. After everything that's happened, that's what gets you pissed?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And where you see sickening, I see healing. I think my outlook's a bit healthier.

12. Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

I'm really sick of hearing about the poor football player "kids."
    The irony is, the current Penn State players, while blame-less, of course, in this incident, are perfect examples of the disease. If you read some of their tweets this week, they're focused on ignoring everything outside them and just focusing on beating Nebraska and wondering why the media only focuses on them when there's a scandal or feeling bad for Paterno or asking God to get them through this ... after Paterno was fired, but not before that ...

They have not been through a shitstorm, not any level that deserves sympathy compared to the real victims today.

Shit ... a dumb fan couldn't even get through the moment of silence just now without shouting "We love you, P-State!" Not about you. Not about your precious football team. Or university. The freaking victims.

The real kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted