1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty soon asking a girl out will be considered rape.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This has been pretty well established, particularly with the 1-in-5 number that infuriates you so much -- someone who is considered too intoxicated to give consent (even after the fact) can be labeled a victim. Sure, we know it's hooey, but as long as that 1-in-5 number governs the issue, that's going to be the thought.

This is going to become a huge deal as the "Yes Means Yes" laws start cropping up in more states.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Talk about staking out some risky territory ...

4. PW2

PW2 Member

What grabbed my attention was the reference to "two drunk people having sex." That conjures something else for me other than one person taking advantage of a drunk person.

Is that where we're at? No sex when alcohol has been consumed?

True story: I turned my friend down for years in college. She caught me one night when I was drunk. We went to her dorm and had sex. I regretted it afterward.

Shouldn't my sober non-consent - years of it - have stood and been respected?

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The idea being that even if she gave consent at the time, she was too drunk to actually do so.

6. PW2

PW2 Member

OK. So you're not talking about all drunk sex?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yep. You were the victim of a sexual assault, at least by current definitions.

By current definitions I have been the victim of a sexual assault and also a rapist. So I have it both ways.

That's the part people have trouble getting their heads around. They hear the new standards, think, hell that happened to me/I did that and I'm not a victim/rapist. Then they go outside and tell those damn kids to get off their lawn.

Also, I'll be hosting a candlelight vigil this evening for and against me.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't forget to invite Instapundits you've both heard of and never knew existed to cover the vigil.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's infinitely better than a party line of, "Your risk of being raped goes down a statistically insignificant percentage when you're on a college campus as opposed to when you're not."

Judging by the victory laps taken by people like Glenn Reynolds in the wake of the DOJ releasing their stats, the 1-in-5 number being false or a misrepresentation means that campus rape is a "hoax," the product of "media hype and political opportunism." Which is a despicable, bullshit position that has little bearing on reality.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But isn't that ultimately true? Aren't young women in college thought to be victims less frequently than young women not in college?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Google these terms ... "Brett Sokolow", sex, booze ... He's a leading consultant to colleges/universities on campus sexual assault. You can read his newsletter about campus panels that, in his expert opinion, blew it while adjudicating instances of drunk sex.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes, technically, it is true. It's still statistically insignificant and most likely within the margin of error.
    It's also insignificant because of the differences in reporting between college students (80 percent unreported) and nonstudents (67 percent unreported) from that same report.

Just because something is slightly more likely to happen elsewhere doesn't mean it's not happening on college campuses at an unacceptably high rate. It's happening EVERYWHERE at an unacceptably high rate.

I'm starting to think statistical manipulation and parsing is a bigger distraction to the actual issue than Erdely's story was.

Draft saved Draft deleted