1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How about "nothing." People who decide such things don't allocate money to "hoaxes."

2. PW2

PW2 Member

I don't think that they think there are zero campus rapes.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If addressing it as a 1-in-5 problem yields a higher ratio of potential victims saved to young men's "lives ruined," I'm ok with it.

4. MisterCreosote

I'll rephrase: I don't want the people tripping over their own dicks to refute rape statistics as sensationalized political mumbo jumbo to be in charge of allocating resources to combating sexual assault, on campus or elsewhere.

5. PW2

PW2 Member

What if it yields more murder and robbery victims?

6. PW2

PW2 Member

Agreed.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What?

You really think publicly flogging and expelling these guys, who are innocent, helps the cause?

8. PW2

PW2 Member

I used to be bitter that I had to go to college when we still worried irrationally about AIDS.

But I think that was preferable to now.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No, I said that erring on the side of overstating the problem is the smarter course of response. Disciplinary processes will evolve and become better as we increase focus on the problem.

If not, I'm sure outraged men will muster the courage to stand up for themselves.

10. PW2

PW2 Member

Maybe if we overstate by some slim margin.

But killing an ant with a sledge hammer? No. There's no good reason to err that far when there's plenty of information available gauging the problem with some accuracy.

11. MisterCreosote

What we DO know for sure is there is not an epidemic of innocent men being falsely accused of rape. So, there's that.

12. PW2

PW2 Member

Isn't one too many?

Draft saved Draft deleted