1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The people who believe that rape and sexual assault are major campus issues that aren't being overstated seem to be doing a better job of advocating for themselves.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But they're wrong. Rape and sexual assault are very clearly being overstated by these very people.

Boom_70 likes this.
  3. Idiotic post of the year.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So what, in your opinion, has been taken too far as a result of this nefarious exaggeration?

We all agree the adjudication process is fucked up, both for the accused AND the accuser, a part you always seem to leave out. We'll also most likely agree that police aren't great at it either.

So, what else is the victim advocacy movement taking too far as a direct result of this statistical manipulation?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The adjudication of it, primarily. That is not an incidental thing. Wait till the "Yes Means Yes" laws wind their way through and what a mess that will be.

And frankly the overstating of the problem diminishes the solutions. Others have said it, I think Smash most recently, but 1-in-5 and all the attendant definitions brings eyerolls and provides an outlet to dismiss the whole deal for people who want to do that.

6. MisterCreosote

I have no issue with "yes means yes" laws as long as due process is involved, which IIRC is not the case in California. I think it's extremely important to the issue, not the "movement," that more of these unreported incidents come to light, and yes means yes would do that.

Then we might actually get somewhere. I'd agree about the 1-in-5 stuff if the real numbers weren't so easily available and scary in and of themselves.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes, by all means let's remind everyone that rape terrorizes men.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He raped her at hello

Songbird likes this.
  9. PW2

PW2 Member

We are fully capable of discussing multiple aspects of the issue, I'd think.

10. MisterCreosote

Wait a minute. I must've read over this the first time.

Are you saying we "probably" had to ply your wives with booze in order for them to go out with us and/or fall in love with us?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Already is, my friend. My cousin is getting married to a horse, and I asked an attractive coworker to go to the wedding with me. My trial is in 3 months.

12. MisterCreosote

Yep. Just like letting two gay people marry will soon lead to people marrying animals and inanimate objects.

Draft saved Draft deleted