1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoney's He-Man Steeler Haters NFL Playoff Thread ... No Yinzers allowed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what a game it was

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wonder what Eric Hipple is doing right now.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Still living in Michigan last I heard.
    I worked for a TV station that would bring him in for our Sunday night sports show as a football analyst about 7-8 years ago. Not sure if he's still doing that, but I know he's still in the area.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Love Bernie Smilovitz

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I remember the last Detroit game in 1991. I was a kid in high school at a buddy's house and, for big bowl games or NFL playoff games, we always watched at his place. Huge house, he had a giant TV and his mom was happy to cook for us.

My friend's dad was a well-respected TV news anchor with this "ego wall" in his den that I was in awe of. Something like 20 Emmy awards, framed pictures of him interviewing RFK, MLK and every president from Nixon to Bush I.

He cared about one sports team. Only one.

The Dallas Cowboys.

He comes down at kickoff, dressed head-to-toe like he's JR Ewing. Drinking beer, sitting in his easy chair.

Then the game starts to go sideways.

Because my buddy and I were 16 and obnoxious, we were rooting for the Lions, just to irritate the old man.

By halftime, he was grabbing and throwing some of the lower-level awards he had won (state AP awards) and even had kicked over this massive globe that was its own piece of furniture. Swearing like a sailor all throughout. When it hit 38-6, he was guzzling Michelob like a camel at the oasis.

He didn't break anything but mom calls in, "CALM THE FUCK DOWN! IT'S JUST THE COWBOYS!"

Sadly, I was in college the next two years when the Cowboys won the Super Bowl but I heard the old man had wonderful, Gatsby-like parties for the Super Bowl.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Only Cincinnati (1990 wild card round) has gone longer without a playoff win. Three teams (four, if you count the Ravens) came into the league after the Lions won that playoff game and have won one since then. Hell, two of those made the Super Bowl.
    The Lions are also one of five teams (Browns, Bengals, Texans and Redskins are the others) not to play in a conference championship game since 1991.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wikipedia has him going around the country and talking to people about depression. He had it during his NFL career, and sadly, his son also had it and committed suicide as a teen.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...it-every-single-guy-in-the-knee-going-forward

Steelers safety Mike Mitchell once again vows to "hit every single guy in the knee from here on out." This came after drawing a personal foul for a helmet-to-helmet hit early in the Steelers' loss Saturday. He made a similar promise earlier in the season.

I'm still waiting for him to vow to start covering offensive players and perhaps make a big play someday.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

First of all, that was at least defensive holding because Hitchens grabbed the jersey before the ball was thrown. Second of all, they should have flagged Dez Bryant for coming onto the field to argue.

Never mind the fact it should have been PI to begin with.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've seen a lot of things -- but not announcing a pass interference penalty and a first down AND THEN picking up the flag.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Picking up the flag after the announcement? Are they trying to make it look like a fix? Also, Lions kickers strike again.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I believe it IS a fix.

Draft saved Draft deleted