1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoney's He-Man Steeler Haters NFL Playoff Thread ... No Yinzers allowed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 29, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I agreed with picking up that flag. Just wasn't enough contact for me to call PI. But they sure did pick up the flag late.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's not all about the contact. It's the fact there was contact AND the defender was not playing the ball.

AND the fact they announced the penalty. And they were marching off the yardage. ONLY THEN did they reverse it.

It was ridiculous from any standpoint.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Is that who was officiated this game?

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Lions made enough mistakes to lose ... but picking up that flag so late was ridiculous. And props to the replay commentator guy (Mike Ferrera?) for pointing that out during the broadcast.

5. MileHigh

No. He's the one who threw the $100 bill onto the field that was then picked up along with the flag.

6. MileHigh

Mike Pereira. Former head of officiating in the NFL. The call/noncall will get heavy scrutiny -- as it should.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You really have to wonder if NYC told them to pick up the flag

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Aikman's understandable flag-waving aside, I don't fancy the Cowboy's chances next week.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't know how you can look at that objectively and agree with what the officials did. That was very clear pass interference. I don't buy the fix theories for the reason at least not one coming from the league office, but that was an inexcusable decision by the officials.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I've watched a lot of football in my life. I've never seen a flag picked up after the penalty was announced. Ever.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Not playing the ball" only matters if there's egregious contact. I saw a guy running step for step with the receiver and then putting his hands up in the air. They deep-sixed the "face-guarding" rule years ago.

Now you won't get an argument from me on how late they were in picking up the flag. That was ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted