1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoney's He-Man Steeler Haters NFL Playoff Thread ... No Yinzers allowed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 29, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think it was the same deal in the Eagles game. McCoy wound up with OK numbers, but did nothing of substance when the game was on the line.

I think they were rated 21st against the run as far as rushing yards given up were concerned. The only team they've faced this season that likes to pound the ball is Seattle.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Should the Packers get past the Cowboys, they face the chance to end the 2014 season the same way they ended the 2013 season: Getting bounced from the playoffs by the same team that trounced them in the season opener.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just like 2012 as well.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yep. Forte was gashing that defense for the first half, then Trestman stopped running the ball.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I caught part of Inside the NFL on NFL Network tonight. They had video of Stafford talking with officials on the sideline after the pass interference flag was picked up. One of them told him that it was because there was no contact before the ball arrived. Aside from the fact that we know that is incorrect from the video, it is also not the story that Morelli told later, which was not enough contact. Of course, it could just be part of the communication issues among the crew, but it could also be that the story changed to cover their asses.

The next highlight after that clip? The fourth down conversion by the Cowboys, complete with the holding call the NFL admits was missed.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dez Bryant staged a bigger protest than Caldwell who seemed to just let things slide. A lot of
    coaches would have gone ballistic.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

8. old_tony

Bears ran for 105 yards in the second half.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

By my very intricate calculations, that would mean they ran for 130 in the first half.

That's quite a lot.

It's really not that difficult or worth arguing about, but the Bears' only two drives of the third quarter ended with interceptions on first-down throws. And even on those drives they were running well, which made the throws all the more Cutlery.

Anyhoo, point being, the Packers are definitely vulnerable against the run.

10. old_tony

Not arguing with you. Cutler definitely cost them that game. But they did run for over 100 yards in the second half, including 43 when they ran the last eight plays of their last possession while down 21 points.

da man's numbers regarding the Packers' last eight games tell a pretty compelling story. I'll put more stock in those than a single game back in September. But I do remember watching that game and thinking to myself that the Bears were padding rushing numbers and not trying at all to win the game.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This is what I meant about Trestman earlier. After a competitive first half in which they rushed for 130 yards, almost half the yards they gained in the second half came really late.

The Packers couldn't stop the run, but Trestman did.

Saw a stat today that Murray was 5-for-5 in 100-yard games against bottom 10 defenses. Packers are 10th-worst.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not since they moved Clay Matthews inside and went run-heavy up front in November.

Here's a great stat for you: Green Bay allowed six runs of 20 or more yards in its first eight games. Since then? Zero. The Packers have allowed six runs of 20 or more yards all season. The only team with fewer is New England with two.

Draft saved Draft deleted