1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What policy drove middle class, well educated Saudis to fly airplanes into the Twin Towers?

And, should we have altered our policies in an attempt to prevent attacks of that nature?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There are probably hundreds of millions of people who disagree with U.S. foreign policy.

Only radicals use bloodshed as a way to voice their displeasure.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nothing. You're right. Just a random attack by random radicals on a random target in a random country. They almost went with a park bench in Laramie, Wyoming, in fact. Luck of the fucking draw, I guess.

4. YankeeFan

Brain damage from smoking marijuana as a teen made him susceptible to radicalization:

The man who allegedly orchestrated France’s deadliest terrorist attackin half a century was introduced to radical Islam by a charismatic janitor who led a band of social misfits and petty criminals through military-style training exercises in a Paris park.

At the time, Chérif Kouachiwas a pot-smoking pizza delivery man, drifting through life with only the vaguest of attachments to religion.

But his indoctrination more than a decade ago would prove fateful. It fired a zeal for violence that was apparently never extinguished despite an aborted trip to Iraq to battle U.S. forces, a three-year prison term and a long stretch when Kouachi convinced those around him — and perhaps even French law enforcement — that he had given up his dream of dying a martyr.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...6f6c90-974e-11e4-aabd-d0b93ff613d5_story.html

5. YankeeFan

The World Trade Center represented our way of life in a way that a park bench in Laramie, Wyoming does not.

It also had a greater potential for mass killing.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But I thought that radicals can't be antagonized?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

WaPo, and a growing number of media outlets, has included any and all references to pot-smoking in any requisite story to appease the Y-Effian Crowd of newspaper readers.

If you sniff the air just right you can smell the WaPo editors who hang out here; they're the ones with ratty Fruit of the Loom draws.

8. YankeeFan

Everything we do "antagonizes" them. To suggest we could avoid "antagonizing" them by avoiding certain actions or behavior is silly. If someone wants to justify their radical behavior, they will always be able to do so.

9. YankeeFan

Pot smoking loser makes poor decision. Story at 11:00.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I hate when you make me defend YF.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Like many of us you're a closet Y-Effian.

12. YankeeFan

Before MC became radicalized, he liked me.

Draft saved Draft deleted