1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's someone who's right to antagonize was not celebrated among the elite in our country, or among our political leaders.

2. YankeeFan

Now, they were speaking French, so something may get lost in the translation, but it's hard to explain away this:

A journalist has revealed how the terrorists who massacred her Charlie Hebdo colleagues spared her life - because she was a woman.

Reporter Sigolene Vinson survived the brutal attack on the French satirical magazine, in which 12 people including six of her co-workers and two police officers were shot dead.

She told Radio France Internationale that one of the killers held a gun to her head, but decided against killing her too.

Miss Vinson said the one of the shooters told her: 'I'm not killing you because you are a woman and we don't kill women but you have to convert to Islam, read the Qu'ran and wear a veil.'

She added that the men shouted 'Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar' as they fled the scene.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...attack-brutal-thought-joke.html#ixzz3OKxtuz4q

And, the NY Times originally reported the same thing:

Sigolène Vinson, a freelancer who had decided to come in that morning to take part in the meeting, thought she would be killed when one of the men approached her.

Instead, she told French news media, the man said, “I’m not going to kill you because you’re a woman, we don’t kill women, but you must convert to Islam, read the Quran and cover yourself,” she recalled.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/08/n...-during-charlie-hebdo-attack-then-deletes-it/

But then they changed it to this:

Sigolène Vinson, a freelance journalist who had come in that morning to take part in the meeting, said that when the shooting started, she thought she would be killed. Ms. Vinson said in an interview that she dropped to the floor and crawled down the hall to hide behind a partition, but one of the gunmen spotted her and grabbed her by the arm, pointing his gun at her head. Instead of pulling the trigger, though, he told her she would not be killed because she was a woman.

She disputed a quotation attributed to her and carried on the website of the French radio service RFI stating that the gunman had told her she should convert to Islam, read the Quran and cover herself. Instead, she told The New York Times in an interview, the gunman told her: “Don’t be afraid, calm down, I won’t kill you.” He spoke in a steady voice, she said, with a calm look in his eyes, saying: “ ‘You are a woman. But think about what you’re doing. It’s not right.’ ” Then she said he turned to his partner, who was still shooting, and shouted: “We don’t shoot women! We don’t shoot women! We don’t shoot women!”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/w...-a-scene-of-horror-at-charlie-hebdo.html?_r=0

Why?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Where did I say it wasn't the biggest threat? Where did I blame America?

All I'm saying is there are 1.8 billion people of the Muslim faith in this world and if we're going to be successful in defeating the jihadists it makes sense to draw a distinction between the tiny radical minority and the 1.7 billion or so peaceful Muslims. Pissing on the Koran isn't very helpful. It's a recruiting tool.

Please learn to read better.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Photo of suspect in Kosher Supermarket Hostage situation released.

Edited for improper usage -- Error Code 6

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Needed a decent brisket to feed the 72 virgins. You know, to replenish after all that sex.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They probably scrubbed it because it serves as evidence that the writer graduated from the Sabrina Rubin Erdely School of Reporting.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Watching the coverage unfold on the various channels really makes you realize that for all the jokes, CNN still has its fastball on stories like this.

And, as said ad infinitum, breaking news changes quite a bit as it unspools. As the reporting gets deeper, context changes, people correct quotes and things attributed to them.

This isn't a surprise. But, yet, some still think it is part of some grand conspiracy.

8. YankeeFan

Yeah, I kind of fucked myself on that one. Should have read the last paragraph of my Times excerpt more closely.

I think they added that after I first heard people discussing this last night, and didn't look for an additional edit.

9. Boom_70

People have to understand that it's a fluid situation and stories change by the minute

10. YankeeFan

Wouldn't this be something:

[​IMG]
    David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog

Prediction: the survivors of Charlie Hebdo put out a new issue, the cover of which big Western media will find too offensive to reprint.

11. Boom_70

Even terrorists can't resist a good Jewish deli

Songbird likes this.
  12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

While trying to find regular work outside of journalism I'm temping in my synagogue office right now. Am I going to go to hell for laughing at those jokes and reading them out loud?

Draft saved Draft deleted