1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoney's He-Man Steeler Haters NFL Playoff Thread ... No Yinzers allowed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 29, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Forgot they rotate. But let's be honest - Goodell would have had someone killed if that's what it took to make sure Brady vs. Manning or Luck was the prime time game. :D

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There's my over.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

As for the cold, the Patriots and their fans have been used to late season, cold weather, prime time games for awhile now. Their fans have certainly bitched about it, but you won't see the Pats making any excuses. If anything, they're well enough accustomed to it that it's more likely to help them than hurt them, particularly if they face Indy, which I expect will be making the trip East.

4. bigpern23

That pick six was great for me. I had Seattle -13 and the over (40).

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The sun sets around 5:00 there. They would be playing a night game (or more than half of one) even with the early start.

It's a big old Who Cares.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As opposed to last year, when Brady vs. Manning was the early kickoff (1 p.m. Denver time). He has no control over it. Well, he/the NFL does but it's spelled out in the TV contract. CBS and Fox rotate the start times for the conference title games. One gets the East Coast prime time/same Super Bowl kickoff time every other year.

And this is why 10 years ago they went to this setup. In 2009, Arizona hosted Philadelphia first and Pittsburgh was home late against Baltimore. And they did this exactly for this situation. To protect the networks and to abide by the CBA that says no kickoffs happen before noon local time.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Glad to see the 'Hawks win ... but the Panthers were knocking at the door midway through the 4Q, within 10-15 yards of a TD to make it a one-score game. Then Newton threw the pick-6, and it was over.

Next week, either Rodgers or Romo might get his team in the end zone there — and at other points earlier in the game. Seattle's run game and pass defense will have to play better in the NFC championship.

8. bigpern23

After I realized the mistake, it was a joke, Milehigh. Note the smiley face. Lighten up, Francis.

9. bigpern23

That sounds like exactly the situation in which Romo would throw a killer pick-six in the playoffs. I'm rooting hard for Green Bay tomorrow (today? Crap, it got late) mostly because I hate Dallas, but also because I think Seattle-Green Bay is an awesome NFC Championship game.

No matter who wins either game tomorrow, the NFL is happy as shit right now about the matchups for next weekend. Brady vs. Manning, or the Pats vs. the Colts, and Seattle vs. America's Team or arguably the most nostalgic franchise in the NFL (with an awesome quarterback) are all guaranteed ratings bonanzas for the conference championships.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

As a Pats fan, I just want to add this: My favorite team got incredibly lucky today. But it's a result I'll take.
    I like New England's odds next week against either the Broncos or the Colts and I like their odds against Dallas or Green Bay in the Super Bowl but the Seahawks? That's a matchup I don't like at all.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Green Bay Press-Gazette printed this:

[​IMG]

Temps in the 20s today. Shit, that's springtime. I'm sure Fox is disappointed.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great quote:
    "Kam Chancellor damages people's souls" / Richard Sherman

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted