1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Was Obama invited?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I assume so. We had an ambassador there.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Original reporting had Holder at the march, but then that changed.

He was in Paris for a meeting but didn't participate. I'm curious as to why since he was already there.

As for President Obama and Biden, if the Secret Service said don't go or that they didn't have enough time to prepare, then I could buy that. But that hasn't come out either, at least not yet.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Safety was rightfully a major concern but it certainly would have been meaningful to have a Nobel Peace Prize winner
    in the march. Eric Holder was actually in Paris and certainly would have been an acceptable substitute on short notice
    to represent The U.S. Not sure why he did not participate.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Seems odd. It's not like he's facing re-election and has constituents to appease.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They are catching heat, but it's not like Obama and Biden talked it over and said, "Fuck that. The playoffs are on this weekend."

There was obviously a high-level discussion about whether or not to attend, and a reason or reasons why none of them did. It's frustrating when the answer is, "We sent an ambassador."

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

High-level discussion:

"What do you mean we can't be at the front of the march? We're the fucking USA! Screw that, then. We ain't going."

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe we had a drone overhead instead.

old_tony, Riptide and Boom_70 like this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Looks like the mainstream media is going to have another chance to show if they are Charlie or not.

Charlie Hebdo's remaining members are working on an eight page issue due to come out on Wednesday with a one-million copy print run. Its lawyer, Richard Malka, told France Info radio there would be caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad.

"We will not give in. The spirit of 'I am Charlie' means the right to blaspheme ," he said, adding that the front page would be released on Monday evening.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/12/us-france-shooting-idUSKBN0KK05S20150112

10. YankeeFan

11. YankeeFan

But, I guess anyone who might have questioned the WH's decision is still just a racist mother fucker, right?

AshyLarry and old_tony like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was watching the press conference on mute while on the treadmill. Few things:

1, Is there not a single Black, Latino, Asian etc etc in the national politics press? Didn't see one goddamn colored person asking a question, just a bunch of tired-ass crackers

... and

2, That one guy near the far left front row wouldn't shut the fuck up. What possibly could he have been asking for like 10 straight minutes?

Draft saved Draft deleted