1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was a really weird decision. A head-scratcher. Overthought it somehow, I imagine.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Humble brag.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Walking fast at 3.9 speed, after 15 minutes on the side-to-side elliptical. My running days are long behind me. Fuck that shit.

HC likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Maybe they're just chronic complainers.

5. YankeeFan

Treasury is saying Holder had to get back home on Sunday, and couldn't stay for the march:

Though Attorney General Eric Holder attended a Sunday morning intelligence meeting in Paris, he didn't make it to the afternoon rally.

The U.S. Department of Justice defended his absence, saying that after the emergency meeting at the French Interior Ministry on counterterrorism measures, Holder "had to return to Washington Sunday afternoon."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/john-kerry-slams-quibbling-critics-article-1.2074502

But, I haven't heard anyone say what caused his big rush to get out of town.

I hope we find out, and I'm going to laugh my ass off it he did something like attend and NFL playoff game, or some other such frivolity.

6. Dick Whitman

Why do you think they didn't attend, YF? Do you really believe they just don't give a fuck about terrorism? Do you really believe that?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

Hard to say. I'd like to know what was communicated to them about the march.

I thought it was just a domestic march, and not an international happening, until Sunday morning when I saw all the international leaders there. It was planned quickly. Maybe the WH didn't realize what a big deal it was going to be, and how conspicuous our absence would be.

It does seem a little odd to me that Holder was there for meetings, and had time to tape four Sunday talk shows, but didn't stick around.

9. Dick Whitman

There's your answer.

10. YankeeFan

It probably is.

The criticism is still fair.

11. Dick Whitman

It is fair to criticize them for making a public relations mistake based upon a miscalculation that they should not have made.

Deep down, I think you know that it wasn't a mistake made because they are indifferent to terror. You know that. But even in a non-election year, I wouldn't expect you to yield an inch on that. When the opposition hands you political points, you take them.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whatever the reason it was a missed opportunity for the US. Too bad. You can't be everywhere.

"World leaders joined French President Francois Hollande, including British Prime Minister David Cameron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy. The day also brought together an unlikely duo at the rally: Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu."

Draft saved Draft deleted