1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're putting words in my mouth.

I never said they didn't send someone because they are indifferent to terror.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But that's the subtext of a lot of the criticism today. I'm sure others are outright stating it.

It fits nicely into the narrative where Obama golfed after a beheading.

This was a really dumb mistake (Paris), in light of that.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I have a question that hasn't really been discussed here, I don't think.

Why are people are calling these killings attacks on "journalists?" It doesn't diminish the loss of life, of course, but I'm pretty sure they weren't journalists.

From what I understand, this publication's best comparison in the U.S. is The Onion. They are satirists, right? It just seems like there should be some sort of distinction here. This was an attack on a ballsier version of The Onion or Mad Magazine, not an attack on a news-gathering organization.

4. YankeeFan

LOL. He golfed after a JOURNALIST was beheaded. That's the only thing that got the press worked up about it.

And, I'd have to see the criticism you are assuming is out there to comment.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe we could excuse a miscalculation or two every month. This administration is giving us multiple miscalculations on a daily basis.

6. Dick Whitman

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the criticizers even know what they're criticizing anymore. From the NYDN:

Still worse, Obama’s abdication of leadership reflects a larger presidential failure to convey the gravity of the Charlie Hebdo attack, even if the substance of his anti-terror policy remains strong.

That sounds an awful lot like the "optics" criticism we've heard before, with one glaring difference.

8. Dick Whitman

It was a dumb mistake, public relations-wise, kind of like "My Pet Goat" was. I don't think that, as was the case with "My Pet Goat," that there's really any there there as far as an underlying material meaning to it.

The two sides are always going to pursue these "gotcha" moments on each other that resonate - John McCain and his houses, Mitt Romney's 47 percent, etc., etc.

Politics are dumb.

Songbird likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Presidents of the United States of America do not up and jet across the pond just to participate in some friggin' march. They don't. I don't know what the lead time for a presidential trip is, but the appropriate units for its measurement sure as hell ain't days. And that would be for a state funeral.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's what veeps are for, to take the first bullet.

If you squint just right, can you imagine the final 18 months with Obama-Boehner? (/tap-tap goes Underwood's ring on wood)

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think more like Spy magazine.

12. YankeeFan

LOL.

Wait, White House aides said Sunday, as they saw coverage come in of the anti-terrorism march in Paris — Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is there? Jordan’s King Abdullah? The presidents of Gabon, Benin, Niger? Not to mention the leaders of the United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, Italy and other major allies — and even Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov?

Somehow an event that the French didn’t even announce until Friday had quickly gathered momentum, drawing about three dozen foreign leaders to Paris to express their outrage at the killings of French citizens at a satire magazine and a Jewish supermarket last week. America’s representative, Ambassador Jane Hartley, looked a little out of place.

White House aides were so caught off guard by the march’s massive size and attention that they hadn’t even asked President Barack Obama if he wanted to go.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/paris-march-charlie-hebdo-barack-obama-114206.html

Draft saved Draft deleted