1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is lol your new signature line?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

Charlie Hebdo news conference about to start. CNN prepared to show it live.

Hopefully they won't show the cover of the current issue, as it would likely cause CNN to dump out of coverage.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I love how the Hebdo cartoonist overtly hid (is there such a thing) two sets of balls and penis on Muhammed's head.

6. YankeeFan

White House refuses to say that the problem is Islamic terrorism:

ED HENRY, FOX NEWS SENIOR WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENT: Why wouldn't you use the phrase right there, that we are gonna take on Islamic extremism. You said all forms of violent extremism --

JOSH EARNEST, WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY: She asked me what the summit would discuss and all forms of violent -- violent extremism would be discussed, and obviously the most potent and certainly the most, you know, graphic display that we've seen in recent days is, again, is motivated by those individuals that seek to invoke the name of Islam to carry out these violent attacks, and that's certainly something we wanna work very hard to counter and mitigate and we've got a strategy that we've been discussing for some time to exactly do that.

HENRY: What is the most potent form according to you of extremism, why isn't the summit on countering Islamic extremism?

EARNEST: Because violent extremism is something that we wanna be focused on and it's not just -- it's not just Islamic violent extremism that we want to counter there. There are other forms of --

HENRY: Paris, Australia, Canada, isn't the thread through them that it's Islamic extremism?

EARNEST: Well, certainly those are -- the examples you cite are examples of individuals who've cited Islam as they'd carry out -- carried out acts of violence. There's -- there's no -- there's no arguing that.

http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2...are-other-forms-extremism-that-are-important/

7. YankeeFan

Neither will the State Department spokesman:

MACCALLUM: You know, every time we see this exchange, it seems like the answer is so tortured like it's so difficult to say what everybody around the world seems to feel so clearly it is and what the leaders have said in Canada and Australia and Paris where they have felt it so potently and personally. They've all said quite clearly that the battle is against Islamic extremism. Why is it so hard to say?

HARF: Well, it's not hard to say, but it's not the only kind of extremism we face. I would recommend to folks looking at this administration's counterterrorism record, I would remind people that more terrorists who claim to -- to do acts of violence in the name of Islam has been taken off the battlefield in this administration than under any previous one because of our counterterrorism operations and our efforts that we put in place.

But that's not the only way that you counter this kind of extremism. Much of it Islamic, you're absolutely right, but some of it not. So we're gonna focus on all the different kinds of extremism with a heavy focus on people who do this in the name of Islam, we would say falsely in the name of Islam, but there are other forms of extremism.

MACCALLUM: -- tell me, what other forms of extremism are particularly troubling and compelling to you right now?

HARF: Well, look, there are people out there who want to kill other people in the name of a variety of causes.
    MACCALLUM: -- let me ask you this, Marie, do you believe that there is a common thread in everything that I just mentioned? Is there a common thread?

HARF: I think that's a little overly simplistic to be honest with you, Martha.

http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2...are-other-forms-extremism-that-are-important/

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Frankly, Martha, I don't give a damn.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why the hell does the White House admit propaganda foghorn flacks to its press conferences?

Their biggest mistake is to respond to Ed Henry with anything other than, "eat shit, Ed."

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

12. YankeeFan

You think my comment is invalidated by what Earnest said?

He includes too many qualifications. He's clearly unwilling to say that the broader problem is Islamic terrorism.

Draft saved Draft deleted