1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We've been told repeatedly that we are at "war" with these people. Well, war is ugly. Yet, any time we might show signs of being in a "war," that means the "terrorists have won."

Did Cuba "win" because Americans were scared during the missile crisis?

Did the Soviet Union "win" because Americans were practicing hiding under their desks in case of a nuclear attack during the Cold War?

No. Just like the terrorists didn't "win" when Americans were scared to go shopping after 9/11.

That being said, I would've run the latest Charlie Hebdo cover. I wouldn't have run the ones that were deliberately meant to inflame.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wait, are the decision makers afraid, or are they just being respectful?

Because I haven't seen one decision maker (publicly) say the decision to not run the cartoons -- or any other image of Muhammad -- was influenced by fear.

3. MisterCreosote

What about the editor who said he had to think about the danger he was putting his staff in?

In any war, it may not be the best philosophy to go out of one's way to purposely incite and embolden your enemy. That's why the pictures of bin Laden kill shot weren't widely run. Or the pictures of Saddam after being hanged. Etc. Etc.

4. YankeeFan

Who said that?

The Times public editor says that Baquet had to consider it, but Baquet hasn't said it publicly that I'm aware of.

Jeff Zucker apparently said it in an editorial meeting, but he hasn't said it publicly:

In the network's daily editorial meeting on Thursday morning, CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker addressed the decision.

"Journalistically, every bone says we want to use and should use" the cartoons, Zucker said. But "as managers, protecting and taking care of the safety of our employees around the world is more important right now."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/07/media/charlie-hebdo-terror-attack-media-mohammed-cartoons/index.html

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You quoted some editor(not NYT) who said it, and I maintain that it's the best reason not to show them.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces."

9. MisterCreosote

The free expression vs. violent reaction debate was particularly pointed for Stephen Pollard, the editor of the Jewish Chronicle, a British publication. In a series of tweets after the Paris killings, Pollard argued for not publishing.

“Easy to attack papers for not showing cartoons,” he tweeted. “But here’s my editor’s dilemma. Every principle I hold tells me to print them . . . what right do I have to risk the lives of my staff to make a point?”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...1e9c8c-96bc-11e4-8005-1924ede3e54a_story.html

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We'd have to be talking about one charming motherfuckin' pig.

Boom_70 likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

George Washington often retreated in the face of British assault during the Revolutionary War. He often had to in order to preserve some semblance of a fighting force.

Were people then saying that meant the British had "won?"

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted