1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The world is one big junior high gym class, LTL. Of course people are going to side with the cool kid over the nerdy nerds.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, OK.

But I'm seeing a lot of "here's what he should have done" or "here's how it's going to be."

But that isn't the case. This is how it is. I'm not sure why he has to change what he's doing at all if he's getting the kind of response he wants. It's overwhelming in his favor.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again: Human decency. Common courtesy. The junior high bully got the kind of response he wanted, too.

4. LongTimeListener

I guess I just see it as different, in that it's a pointless exercise to begin with and what he is mainly doing is highlighting the pointlessness. There's a difference between seeking out victims (bullying) and taking a different attitude to this setting.

cranberry likes this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Is Lynch more hero or genius?

Plenty of dislike for Lynch, Sherman, Carroll, etc. The dumbest aspect of the DeflateGate obsession is that if you didn't know better, you'd think the evil Patriots were facing The Boy Scouts in the Super Bowl. The only reason Lynch is getting any sympathy is because his opponent in this nonsense is a group that people like even less -- the media.

6. LongTimeListener

Richard Sherman:

Under Goodell the league continues to put players like Marshawn Lynch in a position to be mocked by the media, which seems to get a kick out of seeing people struggle on camera. As teammates we’re angry because we know what certain people do well and we know what they struggle with. Marshawn’s talking to the press is the equivalent of putting a reporter on a football field and telling him to tackle Adrian Peterson.

Richard Sherman on the Legion of Boom, Roger Goodell, Super Bowl 49 | The MMQB with Peter King

Tangent: Sherman also tells the world he is about to become a father, and that "I’ve realized in the last year that I can evoke change by being a great role model: a man who respects women and police officers, who graduated from college and does everything in his power to be successful within the rules."

7. I don't see how anybody can dislike Richard Sherman.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I just don't think this is the case. I think he's behaving this way because he doesn't want to do it. I haven't seen anything to convince me that he's doing this to speak to some larger issue.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I never understand why sportswriters feel a need to be accepted by the athlete they're reporting about and become indignant if they're not. Lynch is a subject. His media day performance provided the media with plenty of material whether or not they realize it. Go write or talk about it. Call his agent or his high school coach and try to gain some insight, or just have fun with it. But whining about the guy not answering questions or the way he didn't answer questions is kind of pathetic.

EddieM, Double Down and bigpern23 like this.
  10. I hope he wins Super Bowl MVP and Dan Patrick has to interview him on the midfield podium postgame.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

In what way is this at all about writers being "accepted" by the athletes? I think most sportswriters, at least the ones who are worth the ink, don't give a damn if an athlete accepts them or thinks they are cool. I haven't seen any "hot take" from a writer saying this is equivalent to Marshawn rejecting my Facebook friend request.

I also haven't seen any writer saying "Thanks, Marshawn. Now I can't do my job." The reaction has been more about the general childishness of the way he is handling it, not how he is making writers' lives more difficult.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You don't have to have a "need to be accepted by an athlete" to criticize them for petulant behavior.

Draft saved Draft deleted