1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's a little telling that he doesn't have many endorsements. I know he has a deal with Skittles and I'm sure he has the standard shoe deal. I can see companies not wanting a spokesperson who is portrayed this negatively by the media. But do I think your average Joe Fan gives have a shit that Lynch doesn't talk to the media? Of course not...

2. Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press gives his hot take.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's even that thought out. I don't get the sense he enjoys this. I think he's mad about how he was portrayed early in his career and this is his response.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. If he just skips it, no one is stuck wasting their time -- and time is very precious when it's limited to one hour for the whole team.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was just about to post this.

This helps no one.

No one wants to read petty swipes from sports writers.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When I see Super Bowl Media Day, definitely the first thing I think of is how "precious" time is.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This makes zero sense to me. My enjoyment comes from the games on Sunday, not quotes by players.

8. LongTimeListener

Yeah. Anyone who really thinks players are banking paychecks because of the media should get out into the world more. There may be some ancestral link, but for the most part the NFL these days doesn't need the media at all and in fact would probably look better without it.

9. LongTimeListener

BTW today's response was "You know why I'm here."

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't like the "if the media weren't here, you wouldn't be making millions" argument, either. If you're talking about "media" as television broadcasts, sure. No newspaper reporter is enabling NFL players to make a millions. Sorry.

I like the argument based on the appeal to being a decent human being much better.

Also, the reporters who continue to ask him questions are idiots.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is exactly where I fall. Sometimes people are dickheads. Politicians, musicians, business owners, etc. They act the way they act, and if it's your job, you write about them anyway. His act provides good material for reporters, but it's not the traditional heart-on-the-sleeve open book stuff.

Dick, I don't see it as bullying at all. Or that he's disrespecting people he sees as "nerds." I think he's just messing with people, or that he's bitter about the way he was written about when he screwed up a few times, and I think creative reporters find a way to get around that and still say interesting things.

This is a good refresher on one of the downsides of social media. Don't bitch about how the process should have been different, write about what happened.

-- Here we have a thing that happened.
    -- Questions are asked, in an attempt to get more information.
    -- A thing continued to happen.
    -- Why are media people bitching they wish a different thing had happened? It's not like Lynch is running for elected office.

I don't know Murphy, maybe he's just having a frustrating day, but his point couldn't be more wrong.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who is he actually bullying?

Draft saved Draft deleted