1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

With the advent of social media, the middleman (media) has been removed.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Good god, the man looks like he comes straight from a Key and Peele sketch.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

By having those on the NFL Network set joke about it and having Deion Sanders do a tongue 'n cheek interview,
    the NFL in effect is giving tacit approval to Lynch's behavior. They seem to give him a lot of camera time.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Not true. The time you skip will be the time he talks.

I've learned that one the hard way.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Joe Williams likes this.
  7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If you had to be involved in a Marshawn Lynch presser, what would you ask him?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Really? When Derek Jeter wanted to put together "screw the middle man" Web site, he still had to hire Gary Hoenig to actually, you know, edit and stuff.

There are a few players who are as good of writers/TV personalities/radio hosts as professional journalists are, but they're busy making a paycheck in sports. So you either take money out of your own pocket to put someone on your own payroll to serve as media coordinator/press agent -- and let's face it, most of them aren't very good, judging by the awfulness that comes out of Hollywood publicity -- or you let the media publicize you for free.

They will do it for you. More often than not, they will completely kiss your ass in the process of doing it.

The root of any athlete/coach who resists good press is one of two things:

1. They win so much they can freely blow off people and nobody cares because of the bottom line of victories. The key there is to not start losing or retire.

2. Almost legendary stupidity/stubbornness.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It seems like you're willing to talk when you're endorsing products. If I pay you, will you talk to me?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Marshawn, if you like M&Ms, say (whatever the catch phrase of the day is).

JackReacher and SnarkShark like this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's too far down the road now. It's almost certainly going to be a farce until Lynch calls a truce.

He has a sharp enough mind for the game. He can answer -- and he's been asked, many times -- specific questions about what he does.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would ask him who he would recommend for his home and auto insurance.

Draft saved Draft deleted