1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Of course, given that he has to attend, his approach is drawing way more attention to himself than if he just answered the dumb questions and went on his way.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Who?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Zagoshe

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

After further review it's just some dbag tv anchor named Rich Walsh. It's a hot take.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ah damn.I wasn't thinking of on here. I was hoping it was a talk radio screamer or columnist. You know, someone real. :)

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's not his fault. He doesn't want to talk about himself, so he doesn't. I agree with zag on the NFL's reasons for the requirement. I doubt very seriously the league would implode at this point, but for the most part, the media helps the NFL's cause. And it would be a problem (for us) if a lot of guys took this approach. But I don't really have a problem with Lynch's approach the more I think about it.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So if he's all about giving credit to his teammates couldn't he answer questions about them? No, because the truth is it's all about him.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Exactly. It makes it difficult to see him as sincere about not making things about himself when that's exactly what he's doing. Purposeful or not, his "answer" is in conflict with the point he's supposedly trying to make.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I buy it, but his explanation is that even if he gives credit to his linemen/etc., the story always comes back to him, so he chooses not to talk.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Shout out to my crimey at Pelican Bay

11. I've really had an epiphany here.

I didn't like Marshawn Lynch before this week. My first thought was that Lynch had social anxiety disorder. Or something. I saw him as a pitiable figure. But I've worked with people who have SAD (graduate school for psychology in a past life) and they're not prone to crotch-grabbing on national television.

Then I thought he was just a run-of-the-mill asshole. I didn't really care much, but I just categorized him as a typical brat asshole. We all know a few.

But now I like him. I like him because he's trolling people who need to be trolled.

I now believe he's just a sour puss who wants to get paid for his work. He looks at interviews as something that doesn't affect his bank account either way. So he doesn't GAF about them. This initial reticence has become A Thing and he's just going with it because it's something to do. Social inertia, if you will.

I actually enjoyed his monologue the other day:

"I done told y'all what's up. And for some reason, y'all continue to come back and do the same thing y'all did. I don't say enough for y'all to go and put anything out on me. Y'all mad at me. And if y'all ain't mad at me, then what y'all here for?"

He definitely gets it. He just doesn't want to be part of it.

The upside? The columns of indignation. The columnists who get too caught up in the (alleged) gravity of the situation instead of just seeing this for what it is. I mean, boycott Skittles? For what? Because Marshawn Lynch doesn't want to talk with you? Pissing off indignant columnists makes me happy. They're part of what's wrong with journalism. Clickbait is the real problem IMO, but indignant columnists either are clickbait currently or they're setting themselves up for a clickbait future.

'Cause now I got the world swingin' from my nuts. Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Kinda like Kid Bro Sweets/etc became a thing? I think he's just trolling at this point too, and like you I've come around on Lynch's act. Seems to me like he really doesn't want to do it, but he's going to have a little fun if they're going to force it.

Draft saved Draft deleted