1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

RS is going to settle the matter by erecting a statue with a popped collar on campus.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Evidence of campus rapes certainly exists.

To say it "IS a problem" implies that it's a problem as compared to other places.

Is it? Is the problem falsely inflated? Is the problem on par with what we would expect to find as compared to society in general?

Is it more of a problem at white fraternities steeped in Southern culture, as the article implies, or is that falsely inflated?

And, what story "was there"? A compilation of campus rapes, that mostly involve students who know each other, and where alcohol is involved?

What would we learn from that? What would be the take away?

3. YankeeFan

Looks like this statue might become available. Would only require a few modifications:

[​IMG]

Lucille Ball fans want statue removed - CNN.com

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm also not comfortable with folding "young college girl drinks to much and later regrets having sex with guy she hooked up with at party or bar" into a huge "campus rape" problem, but that seems to be what most people are doing.

There is a huge difference between sex a young woman later regrets and actual rape.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Anyone who allowed that statue to be placed as a likeness of Lucille Ball is either blind or has a serious drug problem.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ball's estate has a greater case for defamation than the frat bros do.

Songbird, Mr. Sunshine and YankeeFan like this.
  7. YankeeFan

I'm not sure that false accusations of rape is a huge problem.

Sure, it happens, but it appears to be a small percentage, and it is usually figured out pretty quickly. The accused has rights, and they work in his favor in these cases.

I think it's understandable that women, and rape advocates, get frustrated when this is thrown in their face every time the subject is raised. Yes, false claims of rape are terrible, and they often go unpunished. But raising it every time the issue of rape comes up is also an attempt to shut down conversation.

If we want to discuss the issue, then we should all try to put aside our biases against Frat Bros, and drunken sluts.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

EVERYTHING IS A HUGE PROBLEM!

Songbird and YankeeFan like this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This statement makes my argument better than anything I said.

The people who would say something like this are the people who claimed "victory" when this story unraveled.

Again, seems pretty important to mention and clarify.

10. YankeeFan

Yeah, but you need to fight misinformation with facts, not equal misinformation that suits your argument.

11. YankeeFan

Hey, if you just let me fire some shitty public school teachers, I'll be fine with letting you guys figure out the rest of society's problems.

But, you won't even give me that.

Big Circus likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You can reread any of the threads we've had on this topic. I and plenty of others have posted plenty of information that shows plenty of college campuses have rape problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted