1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, let's consider all of those things "that were VIABLE on their own -- that never stood a chance, because billions of dollars of capital were diverted from the capital markets" by Elon Musk. Go ahead, name one. I'm listening.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm ... I somehow recall you getting bent out of shape about some bank thingy or another. Maybe I was confused.

Tyranny of the seen ... meet cranberry.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is kind of the point, cran. We only know what someone handpicked to divert $5 billion to. We don't know how it would have been allocated in a demand-driven world that encourages VIABLE innovation.

Same old conversation with you. You (or whover you think is smarter than everyone else) want to centrally plan everything to how it SHOULD be.

4. cranberry

Right. You are confused. I supported the bank bailouts and I supported the auto industry bailouts even more.

5. doctorquant

Not what I'm talking about ... but you knew that, dinja? :confused:

6. cranberry

No. Would it be so difficult for you to actually say what you mean?

7. doctorquant

I'll retract. You're OK with any/all government subsidies. If they're done through "democratic processes," we all know they're on the up and up.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This thread has turned into the Fappening.

Riptide and Fly like this.
  9. cranberry

C'mon, keep trying. I had plenty of issues with Halliburton receiving its $40 billion in Iraq-related contracts.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You forfeit your right to complain about that -- and have over and over again on threads like this. You endorse the GAME of "run up debt, corrupt politicians get to spend that money for populist reasons" over and over again. You can't say "I only like it when graft goes where I personally want it to go." Sorry.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Ideological purity tests will be administered down the hall, third door on the right. Don't be late.

doctorquant likes this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wait, why not? I mean, isn't that how it works? We can't say that we prefer the government subsidize a company investing in commercially viable renewable energy and not on a single-bid $7 billion contract to a company that engages in war profiteering and later contributes to the worst man-made ecological disaster in history? We can't do that?

Ragu, you make some viable points on this thread, but you really go off the rails sometimes, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted