1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is that a Barney Frank quote?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes. But that doesn't mean I HAVE to support the bad that comes with the good. Or that I need to shut up and accept it.

Hopefully this isn't a Baron-esque analogy, but here goes: I really like the wild-card system in MLB. I think it has done great things for the sport. But I don't like when the Phillies miss the playoffs.. But I'm not about to support expanding the wild card or doing away with the wild card as a result. I also won't stop complaining about how my team sucks.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes ...

4. doctorquant

Yet the Phillies not making the playoffs has nothing to do with the wild-card system. A more apt analogy might be saying "I really like the NFL's playoff system" while also saying "Any system in which teams with losing records get to host playoff games sucks." That's what Ragu's suggesting is going on here.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking something similar. The Phillies sucking has nothing to do with the wild card system.

KKR, bank bailouts, GM, Elon Musk, Fisker, etc. When you open the door for one, you have opened the door for them all. When you get KKR or a bank bailout that you want to complain about. ... I suggested you reaped what you sowed. You endorsed the crony capitalism that allowed someone else to play that game to the benefit of what THEY preferred (and which you don't like).

To me the much closer analogy would be someone who says, "I love the wildcard system -- it gives the Phillies another chance to make the playoffs!" And then complaining that the wildcard system is unfair because the Mets got a wildcard birth, not the Phillies.

6. MisterCreosote

Kind of like subsidizing energy companies vs. subsidizing defense contractors? Halliburton getting no-bid contracts is not a byproduct of my support for renewable energy.

I don't see a problem with those statements. Overall, the playoff system is fine. The home-field advantage thing is a glitch in an otherwise fine system.

7. doctorquant

OK, but you should recognize that what you define as a glitch -- an outcome you would rather didn't occur -- is actually the system working exactly as it's designed. You want a system that enables such "visionaries" as Musk? Have at it. But know going in that it's going to give you a Halliburton, too.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Halliburton was neither an unintended consequence nor a glitch and it wasn't something (or the type of thing) with which we have to live in order to have programs that provide incentives to companies for pursuing national priorities.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. doctorquant

Sez you ...

10. MisterCreosote

So, if someone put the kibosh on Halliburton's no-bid contracts, A) it would've automatically stopped energy subsidies, B) caused the whole system to crash, or C) the decision-makers are just unfair meanies?

11. doctorquant

Depends on whether they're doing it through "democratic processes" or not ... :p

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Depends on who's setting the priorities.

Draft saved Draft deleted