1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

C'mon, Ace. Everyone knows you're still pining for the Plain Dealer.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm down to crying tears of regret only an hour a day. Progress!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Are you just thinking about applying for this possible journalism job? Or, have you received an offer to take it?

If only the former, I'd go ahead and apply if you're interested in the position and the place. It sounds like you're very qualified, but don't presume you'd get an interview -- or a job offer.

Worry about what you'd do if and when either of those things occur.

4. Wiljgamer

Wiljgamer New Member

I've had multiple interviews with their editors, and they mentioned the next step is to fly the finalist(s) out for an in-person. I definitely don't want to have them pay for a flight, though, unless I'm 100 percent committed.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. How could you be 100 percent committed unless you've talked to them and seen the place?
    2. Unless you just know you don't want that career, have a better job already or don't want to move, why not check it out? They certainly aren't 100 percent committed to any candidate they bring in.

6. Wiljgamer

Wiljgamer New Member

Good points, Ace. What's been your experience in flying out for interviews? Have you ever rejected an offer after flying out? Burning bridges is a big concern with me.

The ME won't discuss some of the specifics over the phone (i.e. salary, benefits) until the candidate speaks to HR during an in-person interview. I know the ballpark salary from viewing previous job threads for this position, but if moving expenses (I know there's some) and benefits don't align, I most likely wouldn't take it.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You don't owe them anything if they fly you out and don't take the job. You are interviewing them as much as they are you at this point. If you turn it down and they get butthurt over it, that likely isn't a bridge worth maintaining. Just as long as you are professional about turning it down, which, judging by previous posts, I'm sure you would be.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I only flew to one interview and accepted the job.

I offered jobs to people I brought in from out of town who ended up deciding they weren't ready to move yet.

I didn't hold a grudge and reached out when similar jobs opened up to see if circumstances changed.

If the ME is willing to bring you when you obviously need to be talked into taking the job, I wouldn't worry about burning any bridges.

(Moving expenses? Really? I thought those had become extinct.)

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They could, of course, fly you out, then choose another candidate.

Don't let their cost of the flight sway your decision at all. That is a business expense which is not your concern.

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

That question made me feel like we're being ribbed...

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

For our pleasure?

expendable likes this.
  12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Well, for someone's, anyway

Draft saved Draft deleted