1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but it's pretty common for folks to feel that way.

2. Wander_mutt

Wander_mutt New Member

This happened to me right out of college when I flew out for an interview. Same thing, ME wouldn't discuss salary before the trip, brushed it off and said we'd discuss it in person. I assumed (naively) that it was probably decent pay. The salary ended up being MUCH lower than I anticipated and there were no moving expenses paid. I had another interview coming up in a few days at a paper about an hour from home. At the end of my trip the ME drove me back to the airport, I asked him when he expected to make a decision because i had another interview coming up elsewhere. He became visibly upset over this, and started grilling me on this other position, it was an awkward mess. Apparently I was the only person he was interviewing and he'd been talking to me on the phone for weeks while the summer job I was committed to wrapped up.

In the end, he offered me the job and I declined. I would strongly recommend you get that information if it's a deal breaker for you, at least a summary of the information. My experience was pretty disheartening, but I was right out of college and the reality of journalism hadn't kicked in yet.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great example, Wander.

Trying to get a handle on what the job pays before you get an offer is tricky. Generally, folks don't like to bring that up.

In your case, I might have said before flying out, "I don't want to waste your time and money if we aren't on the same page. Can you give me a range of what the job might pay?"

If he doesn't want to answer, it's on him. Another way to get around that is to try to ask people who work there what a preps writer (0r whatever) might make. But that's not the most reliable way.

If you aren't flying in and are being interviewed in town, I would not bring up pay at all.

Also I would try hard not to put any salary expectations on the form they have you fill out. Why give them a reason to weed you out or lowball you?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Aw, poor baby, he had competition for his 'effin stud and would have had to increase his shitty pay.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When I was in a position to hire, I was completely up front about the pay, or lack of it, that we could offer. There was no sense in wasting time both my time and the applicant's time if we weren't going to be on the same page. We weren't very flexible. We might have been able to go up $1K or 2 a year for the right candidate, but if the person was looking for $10K more than we could offer, we both just moved on. Seemed like a reasonable way to do things.

6. Wander_mutt

Wander_mutt New Member

Agreed, I do the same thing in the phone interview. If they don't ask about hours I make sure they know there are nights/weekends involved as well as pay and out "extra" days off (furlough). I would say that weeds out a third of the candidates, but those are things no amount of negotiating is going to fix. Frankly, I'm continually surprised at the number of the people that don't see furloughs as a red flag. The days off are nice, but the fact that we've been getting them for 5 years is a scary thought.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I think I might actually cry when I leave this business. How weird is that?

8. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Five years? Are you not a company named CNHI? Theirs seems to be a longer streak.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm sure I will. But I cry still being in it, too.

10. Wander_mutt

Wander_mutt New Member

Yup, CNHI. Could be longer, I forget when they started, but it was probably 5-7 years ago. We've gone from having a meeting each quarter announcing them and reinforcing that this was the "right thing to do to get in a better place" to an email alert. Meanwhile, job openings are still being filled and raises have been given out.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'm glad you declined. That ME is a buffoon. The ME should know better than anybody what a shitty job it is to work in a dying profession and you owe it to yourself to get the best offer. It's his fault not even discussing pay before your trip out there.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What did you decide, Wiligamer? Please please do NOT consider that newspaper job. It may be your dream, but the dream is dead for anyone wanting to be in this profession and also be married and have a real life. Keep your job and take the promotion. Newspapers are NOT a good option for anybody who wants to have a normal life.

Draft saved Draft deleted