1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Come Kiss the Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

F the DM Register for saying Trump should drop out.

It's not their job to say who should and shouldn't run for president. That's the media at its worst.

Cover the horse race and see who wins.

Of course if the Register was sponsoring one of these debates, they would absolutely insist Trump be present.

Unless they're a typical newspaper that would rather go bankrupt and be elitist.

murphyc and Songbird like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wonder if he does a comb-over with his pubes ...

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Looks good, but when it comes to serious BBQing, your humble correspondent makes his own. I'm really not finicky ... I like all types. Just like I like all types of music ... country and western.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's an editorial. Newspapers have been running them for some time now.

Alma, Spartan Squad and cranberry like this.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping these GOP candidates hold a little something back for the debates. I'm afraid they're using some of their best material.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Mmmm, Carolina mustard sauce.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If you open any newspaper in the world to the opinion section, you will likely find the paper giving its take on an issue/candidate. The editorial page has been a staple for a very long time and papers regularly do endorsements where they essentially say choose this candidate over this other candidate(s). It's normal. In this case the Register is probably being more nuanced than a grade-school boy picking his kickball team. Trump is continuing to step in it, probably isn't taking this whole thing seriously and probably should get out of the way of a candidate who respects this process better.

They aren't saying they won't cover Trump's campaign (ala the Huffington Post), they are just saying in their opinion, Trump's campaign has run its course and it's time to bow out before embarrassing himself further. That's fine. That's what an editorial board is there for, to render opinions for the paper. And quite honestly, Trump probably doesn't give two shits about the Register right now (he may when official endorsements come out, assuming he is still pretending to be a candidate). If he continues, it will be because he wants to continue. If he quits, it will be because he wants to quit not because Rick Perry or the Register says he should.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

On top of that, I didn't find the editorial to be particularly well written. For example, this:
    The tone I get from the editorial (the quoted section in particular) is the presidential campaign system is a beautiful sculpture of art that's been running impeccably for decades until Trump came along like a child and spilled grape juice on a rare Picasso.
    Do not Clinton and Bush (to name just two current examples) have considerable wealth, celebrity status and draw attention to themselves? Do presidential candidates, especially more than a year before the election, really provide thought-provoking solutions to the issues facing America? For example, I'd wager more Republican candidates are having to talk about immigration because Trump's comments pushed the dialogue forward and forced others to take a position (or at least come closer to that).
    I'd also be curious if the DM Register and other papers defending McCain's military record now were lavishing him with similar praise in 2008.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The guy's a straight shooter.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Rick Perry is saving three big ideas for the debates.

Ignatius_J._Reilly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.