1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Word is that the shooter was a disgruntled worker at WDBJ.

Too close for me. I know their sports staff well. Just a devastating day in our neck of the woods. Numb.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, hadn't seen the screen shot when I posted that.

Suspect being pursued by police...

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Have you seen any news about her? Was she shot too?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes. Last report was she was in surgery.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We should be designing ribbons. And front pages.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not a joke.

Reporters get really emotionally involved in a story when it involves another reporter.

They take it personally, and demand action -- even symbolic action -- that they don't demand in other instances.

7. YankeeFan

Outside of Virginia, should this be a major story?

Cable news is already wall to wall with it.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Well, if it was a station employee doing the shooting, there's nothing short of metal detectors at the door to stop this.
    I'll agree with this. Type in WDBJ and I see tweets from reporters and anchors I haven't seen in 15 years.

Especially given that we are still awaiting an arrest and a motive for the shooting, this plays into all of our worst fears about safety and live shots.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes.

I think seeing how one of these shootings actually occurs is important and news-worthy on a wider scale.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's the culture. 99 percent of gun owners will never commit a crime. If you removed all guns today, you'd still have too many Americans who are determined to destroy people. If you can't get a gun, you can always, say, buy a bunch of fertilizer and rent a truck.

That's not to say that gun control is an issue that should be avoided. But it's an issue that seemingly has no middle ground at this point. One side won't be happy until it's impossible to legally own a gun, and the other side is so entrenched that it's not willing to budge from its position. So, nothing gets done. Of course, anything that might get done re: gun control won't actually address the larger issue. Unfortunately, that's a problem with no solution.

11. YankeeFan

What's unique here? That it's on camera?

Other than that - and the profession of those involved - this looks like a disgruntled employee. Is that automatically news?

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Two people killed on live TV is going to be something of a deal whether it was a reporter or not.

TV reporter friend was getting out of the business and got her first "fuck her right in the pussy" guy on a looklive in her last week to work and I know with her and with other TV types, there's a certain amount of fear of something awful happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted