1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

YF,
    There's no need to get too worked up about too much coverage of this. It'll be off the airwaves and the top slot on websites within 24 hours or so, and will basically be forgotten by the time there's another sensational shooting, whether that means one that happens on air or just the random one away from the cameras that kills 5-8 people. The beat will go on.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Right. I'm speaking in general that if someone at work wants to kill you, not much you can do about it.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Haunting to watch CNN play old clips of the reporter.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fair point.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Been hearing for a while he's being pursued. Are they waiting for him to stop for gas?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

TV, I didn't reference exmediahack's post correctly. He was talking about morning live shots that happen repeatedly, like in his example of 5:10, 5:40, 6:10, 6:40.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jane McManus
    @janesports What makes what happened in Roanoke more horrifying is that we have created a culture where this keeps happening.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

If he's on the Interstate, as I've seen reported a few places, then it's not exactly easy to clear traffic and use a pit maneuver or stop sticks to force a stop. If they've got him in sight, they'll have him in custody soon enough.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Watching it on Robin Meade. Chilling. (Note: Robin is really really good amid this. Should have put her on the main CNN years ago...)

The reason that journalists are chiming in is two-fold. It's so damn shocking to happen on live TV at a feature story, no less. Also, in TV, all of us are about "3 degrees" from anyone in the business. I've never set foot in Virginia but I know three people who work in that market.

As an industry, we all do rally around each other through the layoffs five years, through the demands to do more and more with less and less, all while chasing stories that have no depth instead of the pieces that could really resonate.

Half the presidential candidates I follow rip the media for cheap applause lines while we all stand in the back and then, ten minutes later, they play nice in the press conference once the public leaves.

Our public approval rating is about as low as anyone, lower than politicans. That's why we need to keep to ourselves and pull for each other. We know that we're not evil but we are an easy punching bag for other.

Within 24, all of the news crews (the irony) will leave Virginia for the next quick hit shocking story.

murphyc and schiezainc like this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Fair enough.

11. One of my fraternity brothers and his wife has worked at the station for several years.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Robin Meade is the most underrated talent in TV news.

Draft saved Draft deleted