1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Chris Jones
    @MySecondEmpire Another shooting, another round of tweets and sloganeering, another defeat that looks a lot like forgetfulness, another shooting.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm hearing the top of Afton Mountain (I-64 between Staunton and Charlottesville) is covered with law officers looking for the suspect.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I watched the video.

I don't think I gained anything from it.

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, and I think it's an element of this, but I think it's more due to the fact that these murders happened on live television, with high production values, in an unlikely setting. There were people watching. People in the public. And likely very affected. It matters to journalists that they were journalists. But it mattered to the public, too. She was a TV personality with a connection forged with the viewers.

5. Dick Whitman

I see what you did there.

Apples and oranges.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No it's not.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Can always count on Jones for snarky tweets after a tragedy. He never misses an opportunity.

8. Dick Whitman

Jones is right, though.

Bring on the hash tags.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hopefully they have conclusive ID on the killer and his motive -- and hopefully, he gets killed in the course of the arrest.

10. Dick Whitman

YF, there are plenty of people I'm seeing on social media (for whatever that's worth) who are not journalists and not from Virginia who are extremely invested in the story.

And, yes, I fear the copy cat aspect of over coverage, as I always do.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Behind on my sloganeering today and haven't been on Twitter much. Did he copy and paste Good luck, America yet?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Va State Police says there is NO pursuit of the suspect vehicle despite media reports.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted