1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's an Emoji world, baby, and we're all just characters in the play.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

On Twitter, he said that the cameraman had gone to HR about him. Didn't say why.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I wanted this guy to suffer.

schiezainc, JC and wicked like this.
  4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Still heavy police presence all along I-64 in Central Va along with lots of cops securing schools near the highway.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Linden is east of Front Royal, VA. I get gasoline at that exit all the time.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That still shot of him pointing the gun at her was just brutal. I don't want to see the video. Ever.

schiezainc likes this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Most people in TV news are somewhat crazy anyway but not like this. What I mean by this is that tons of us drink too much, tons of us say too many things that would get us fired in a corporate/office environment but, in a TV newsroom, it's just bawdy humor. Most TV stations in small or medium markets (this station is in market 67 or 68 - a true "medium market". Anchors are usually older but the reporters are often in their 20s in a market this size) still have the feel of a collegiate atmosphere, especially with the younger colleagues.

As for HR, most TV stations don't want to CYA and make sure they don't get sued for harassment. That being said, WDBJ is owned by Schurz, which is probably one of the two of three best ownership groups in the industry. They have a rep for treating their people pretty well.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The solution for tragedies like this is a 10-second delay for all live broadcasts.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A friend of mine worked with him at a prior stop. Several folks who were his coworkers are posting on her FB post about the shooting talking about how they knew he had problems, but never expected anything close to this.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lots of reports floating around say dude shot and killed himself.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He's dead, per CBS Radio.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

He obviously snapped beyond snapped. If people knew he had problems then those problems got worse. I can't imagine he kept this all to himself. Especially with how calculated everything was. Such a hard thing to find the middle ground on intervention, but man. There just seems like there had to be something he revealed. But then if he was this in it with what he was going to do maybe not.

Draft saved Draft deleted