1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's also extra upsetting when the victim is a pretty blonde woman.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Dude. You need to take a break.

Riptide likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Sure, that's the societal wrong we are trying to right in police shootings.

Here, we have a nation in which more than half the citizenry thinks that if people would just gun-up like an action hero, they wouldn't have to worry about getting shot. It's important for people to reach that conclusion based on evidence of how shootings occur, which we now have, rather than based on how they imagine them to be, in order to fit their premise.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Big difference in wanting a video that shows actions by the state to be released vs. one that shows a private citizen. We all know media companies are hypocrites when it comes to answering questions about themselves that they want others to answer. That's established. But in the case of asking for transparency, the media should always fight for release of info from the government.

7. Dick Whitman

Sure, and that's why the Walter Scott and other videos were newsworthy. For public policy reasons. This one is relevant for public policy reasons, too. It just so happens to be a different public policy reason, but it's no less important because it doesn't involve the State.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

OK, I read your post more closely. You wrote his action is a reaction to what he thought was hatred. I can believe that he thought he was being hated.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't normally watch "death videos," but I felt compelled to see this one (perhaps the journalist aspect of it). How terrifying it is to watch. My heart is still racing. What's obvious to me in that video is that the shooter was waiting for the camera man, who was filming something off to the right of the women, to return to the women so that the killing would be broadcast live. The level of calmness is truly chilling.

10. Dick Whitman

He believed he was being hated.

Wouldn't he have known it, though?

Do we know better than he does?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Looks like any hatred toward him was well-placed. The guy apparently has been an asshole all his life.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I shit you not, a former college classmate of the reporter was being interviewed and just said, "She died doing what she loved."

Draft saved Draft deleted