1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

There could be something to his message. Nevertheless, as I said, when it's some call for all to follow a path, credibility comes into play.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

After Shooting, Alleged Gunman Details Grievances in ‘Suicide Notes’

In the 23-page document faxed to ABC News, the writer says “MY NAME IS BRYCE WILLIAMS” and his legal name is Vester Lee Flanagan II” He writes what triggered today’s carnage was his reaction to the racism of the Charleston church shooting:

“Why did I do it? I put down a deposit for a gun on 6/19/15. The Church shooting in Charleston happened on 6/17/15…”

“What sent me over the top was the church shooting. And my hollow point bullets have the victims’ initials on them."

And it gets crazier...

“As for Dylann Roof? You (deleted)! You want a race war (deleted)? BRING IT THEN YOU WHITE …(deleted)!!!” He said Jehovah spoke to him, telling him to act.

Later in the manifesto, the writer quotes the Virginia Tech mass killer, Seung Hui Cho, and calls him “his boy,” and expresses admiration for the Columbine High School killers. “Also, I was influenced by Seung–Hui Cho. That’s my boy right there. He got NEARLY double the amount thatEric Harris and Dylann Klebold got…just sayin’.

In an often rambling letter to the authorities, and family and friends, he writes of a long list of grievances. In one part of the document, Williams calls it a “Suicide Note for Friends and Family”.

--He says has suffered racial discrimination, sexual harassment and bullying at work. --He says he has been attacked by black men and white females. --He talks about how he was attacked for being a gay, black man

“Yes, it will sound like I am angry...I am. And I have every right to be. But when I leave this Earth, the only emotion I want to feel is peace....”

“The church shooting was the tipping point…but my anger has been building steadily...I’ve been a human powder keg for a while…just waiting to go BOOM!!!!”.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, he will be a hero to some.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, now that we know he had a reason for it, I guess that makes it better.

Seriously, "he was mentally ill" probably goes a long way toward checking all the boxes as to motive.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The video went black after the initial shots, but the asshole also kept shooting a bunch of times. I can't help but think he was shooting them when they were already on the ground.

Fuck him.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Given what we know of this guy's history of interpersonal relationships, Charleston provided a perfect excuse.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Sheriff just said in a presser he's dead.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

10. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

How about with the ID on the gunman clear, drag his ass in, and schedule him for execution the next morning? Instead of trying to learn "the reasons." Short of either one of them killing a member of his family moments before, there is no justifiable motive. Erase him from this earth in haste. There's no fear in doing gun crimes anymore. Hell, there's no fear in consequences anymore.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, since he's dead, executing him might be problematic.

schiezainc, Baron Scicluna and SFIND like this.
  12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted