1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Live shots where nothing live is happening are also stupid.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was this a "rampage" killing?

It won't even make the Mother Jones list since he both knew the victims and because he only killed two people.

We also have more guns now and more people.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Next up: All the "Could It Happen Here?" reports.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, it most certainly was not. It was a double homicide.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Lynne Russell available for live shot work....

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Also depends on the setting for live shots.

Far too often you'll see a live shot outside of a college football game after the last play or in a bar district on a Friday night. That's where the idiots come out. For female reporters you'll get the FHRITP harassment too often.

What happened today was simple workplace violence but in the ugliest and most horrific sense.

We will all still be standing in front of some municipal building saying "yeah, Ron, this county office has been closed for 7 hours but it was 13 hours ago that a majority of the supervisors decided to raise the fee to haul away a dead cat by 75 cents."

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The live shot is the dumbest in all of news media, especially anything weather-related.

"Well, as you can see, Bob, it's really coming down out here!"

Yes. I can see it. Which is why I fucking don't need you there.

murphyc likes this.
  9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is one I can definitely see being copycatted: videoing homicidal rampages. These will replace, or at least supplement, the multi-page manifesto letters.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agreed x100.

Sometimes I agree to do them just to imply that I'm busy and for the producers to leave the hell alone.

Covering weather is far different now than 10 years ago. I stated out chasing tornados 20 years ago. Now we don't send crews out and we wait for video and tweets to come in. The images are usually pretty good and it's an easy way to get viewers to offer that free content. Not just weather but major fires, chain reaction crashes. All that content usually comes to up long before we can get to it.

I saw that Bay Area crew get attacked and perhaps I think "that's a big market" and shrug it off but in reality it could happen anyway.

15 years ago I had a stalker who sent three pieces of mail to me over a year. The letters were cut out, like in The Bodyguard. A month after the last one, was out with wife at a bar and a woman approached us and started reciting one of the letters.

We moved a year later and that woman's boyfriend killed her by crushing her head with a large rock/Boulder.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You're correct, and ... ugh. I'll change the station when those start.

12. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Did this guy still have contacts at the station? How did he know Parker was assigned to the story at the lake?

Draft saved Draft deleted