1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nice job by Ryan Rizza, who previously tweeted that the shooter was the ex of the reporter, based on "sources":

I'm guessing he's not going to tell us what went wrong with his sourcing.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Am I seeing things? Does the photographer's picture of the shooter as he fell seem to show that the asshole was wearing body armor?

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

C'mon, now. Ever hear of stalkers?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stalkers or perhaps a top of the hour tease, a social media post or perhaps the shooter just saw the truck.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think I read it was their last segment they were doing there this morning, so he might have seen the first.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Easy.

Morning TV is essentially the same newscast every 30 minutes, just repeated or slightly rewritten . That means a live shot at 5:12 will be a live shot at 6:42.

If the killer sees Parker at 5:12, he can safely assume barring breaking news that she'll be there for next 90 minutes.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It also worth bringing up a discussion on social media and your "reach".

My co-anchor and I each have more than 15,000 "followers". Yet for all of the push to engage the followers, I refuse to show pics of my kids, reveal their names, post what I am covering if it means I will be "live" unless it's a large event where it is controlled or unless a station-sponsored event.

It's just too risky to tell the world where you will be at a certain time.

I'm afraid this man would have killed Parker and Ward regardless of any social media posting but it's incumbent on those of us in TV news to limit our exposure in public, too.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My wife's aunt just got out of the business. It made my in-laws roll their eyes every time she did it, but she only referred to her kids by first initials or their ages and it usually was in the telling of some funny thing one of the girls said. She was careful about sending out stuff about where she was reporting (though she eventually became an anchor, so some of that was moot). After today, I don't think my in-laws will be rolling their eyes anymore.

I think she mentioned once about a stalker she once had, but it for sure got no where near the level you described earlier. One thing I love about print is that the public only knows where I was and only occasionally where I am.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing too, but it's just a reflection.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The screen grab I posted has stayed with me all day. Here's a woman who lived just shy of 24 years on her terms and now here she is with her entire fate in the hands of a madman, and she has no clue because she's so locked into the moment. It's so perverse that he was able to stand there pointing his gun, breathing heavily, whispering (?), and none of the 3 looked over to see what was happening.

It was first-person shooter video game made flesh.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm not a religious person at all but stories like this make me hope and wish that there is a heaven and hell because, quite honestly, if there's not it's just not fair. This fat fuck deserves to spend an eternity suffering for what he did today. Anything less than that is a god damn shame.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

G-d must really hate fat people today.

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted