1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really don't like the: "Why are you outraged over this if you weren't outraged over that?" scolding.

Give it a rest, Dick.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. The situations are comparable. This is quite different than demanding people be as outraged about Planned Parenthood as the are about Cecil the Lion.

3. Dick Whitman

There are huge public policy implications in each case. What makes this one so much more upsetting that the media elite are taking to social media to demand that people not only not watch, but not make it available?

The production values?

Something else?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll echo previous thanks to exmediahack and PCLoadLetter for their perspectives. Have learned a lot about TV news from both over the years.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty white girl.

6. Dick Whitman

Yep.

And a journalist.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember when journalists have taken this attitude previously.

Oh yeah, in the aftermath of the recorder murders of Daniel Pearl and James Foley.

Anything similar about these three murders?

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think a big reason people are so interested is that no one's ever done this one before.

Movie theater? Yes
    Schools? Yes
    Malls? Yes
    Liveshot? That's a new one.

I think this will lead to all sorts of psychopaths doing variations on a theme with Go-Pros and social media.

.... Followed by the predictable commentary "This is the new world in which we now live..." Followed by headlines shouting: "The killer did it during a Snapchat !!!! Can you believe it ???"

And having been a TV anchor/reporter for 15 years-- as well as producing a morning news show for a year-- I'm 100% sure this won't stop anybody from doing liveshots, even meaningless liveshots. In fact, they'll probably increase.

murphyc, Ace and cranberry like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Might make subjects think twice about going on with you, though, no?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do people still go see movies? Do they still go to church? Do they still go to school? Do they still go to work? Do they still go to the mall?

11. Dick Whitman

I'm not a TV news reporter, but I'll say this: My days of "checking in" on Facebook and broadcasting my whereabouts ended yesterday.

SFIND likes this.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is the buried lead in all of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted