1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

All of those are places where they at least can continue to harbor the illusion that their vigilance will save them. A TV reporter is asking for the subject's undivided attention. If you dare cross the op-ed staff of the New York Times and watch the shooter's POV video, no one notices the shooter for about 10 seconds or more, even when the gun is trained right on them.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Your Facebook friends want to kill you?

old_tony likes this.
  3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Maybe for a minute, sure. I certainly wouldn't want to be tasked with doing man-on-the-street today.

But the allure of television and promotion of your "thing" and yourself is too great to stop anybody.

4. Dick Whitman

I think it's huge. Agreed. I think that the broadcasting of our lives jumped the shark yesterday, and we may finally start to pull back.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't think so. They'll be forgot about by Monday and it'll be a new day, and like the sands of time, these will be the days of our broadcasting lives.

Things don't change after horrific moments. We're a society of people who want instant celebrity status. This will happen again, sooner than later.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

One would hope. But the same thing's been said about Reality TV.

And while Reality TV ("Unscripted" for the more highbrow) has seem to have plateaued, it's still going strong.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Isn't one of the new Samsung phones advertising a feature where you live broadcast something?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Periscope is available on all phones, I'd think.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you famous enough that killing you would make the story go viral, or that you'd be some "first person shooter's" preferred target?

I'd be more worried about someone robbing my house knowing I wasn't home than I would be about them coming to kill me.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The author of the book "Columbine" was just on CNN talking about how the media should be scaling back its coverage of these shootings. OK, buddy.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If his Facebook posts are anything like his SJ.com posts ...

(Relax, Dick. It was a joke.)

Vombatus and old_tony like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

It's on A3 in the Wall Street Journal today.

Draft saved Draft deleted