1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Reading a story in the WaPo this morning, and this sentence is in the second graf: "Alison Parker of WDBJ (Channel 7) in Roanoke was allegedly killed by Vester L. Flanagan II, a disgruntled former co-worker, on Wednesday morning during a live broadcast."

Allegedly?

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

That's where it should be in that publication.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Lugnuts, thanks for writing in also as one in TV.

I'm curious how this will play out from managers in our field. While this shooting was workplace violence in an extreme form, I can't help but think of the female colleagues I've worked with.

I had a focused stalker once but never, as a guy, had a legion of crazies like many women in the business have. Many of us have walked female coworkers to their cars at night, answered phones or went up to reception for them when things aren't right.

You're always suspicious when you get a call from someone at reception who says they want to see you. My colleagues chuckle at what I always do - fill up a large cup of scalding hot water that I microwaved for 60 seconds - but there's a purpose. Then I go out there and see who it is.

You can't trust people.

This also comes counter as the managers constantly want us to engage through social media. Yet there's a real exposure in this for people who aren't all there. Most reporters and anchors put up narcissistic posts that scream "look at me!" and don't really have much news value. Every time a newsy posts a smiling or even slightly flirty selfie, they're asking for more stalkers.

This goes within a newsroom also. Every station I've worked at has had people who work in master control who are a little off. Every one. Last station had a guy who liked to jerk off in the satellite truck. And he wasn't fired because people were worried about retaliation from him.

Ace, murphyc, Riptide and 1 other person like this.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They should write books instead.

SnarkShark likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't think the two shootings are comparable. Six times as many people were killed under entirely different circumstances.

7. Dick Whitman

Yeah, yesterday was just your run-of-the-mill double homicide on live TV recorded and uploaded by the perpetrator.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I never was big on checking in where I was eating. Or making it obvious I was out of town. I might send a photo from being at the park or something but don't make it clear if it's "live" or not.

Even if it's not some stalker, never know if Little Jimmy down the street has a drug problem and needs some quick cash.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Why do you think it didn't make A1, Dick?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only time a horrific moments truly lead to quick change is if it directly leads to war -- Lusitania (WWI), Pearl Harbor (WWII), Twin Towers (WW Al-Queda/Taliban/Isis).

Societal changes are slow, but once they reach a critical mass, they can move fast (gay marriage).

The gun/violence issue has a whole lot of pushback wrapped in the Constitution, though.

Donny in his element and Lugnuts like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Because I think they decided to be prudent and not sensationalize these incidents, at least to the extent feasible without being totally ridiculous.

A cynic might wonder if Wayne LaPierre put in a call.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

How did the NYT play it?

Draft saved Draft deleted