1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I hate these blowhards whose answer to gun violence is more guns. All other arguments aside, the greatest flaw in that philosophy is there are plenty of times where the person shooting you doesn't actually start a fight with you or at the very least they aren't wearing a sign that reads "I'm going to shoot you now!" If someone is yelling at you and waiving a gun about, then sure, having a defensive piece might, might, help. You have to control your emotions in that moment enough to pull out your weapon and get off a clean shot before the other guy sees what you're doing and fires first. In this case, the guy knew what he was about to do. He knew he was going to pull out a weapon and fire it. The reporter, camera man and camber of commerce president sure as hell didn't know what he was doing until he actually fired. That also ignores the notion of people over reacting to an argument and firing when they shouldn't, firing a weapon and hitting an innocent bystander, being mistaken by a cop as the suspect and so on. That is my rant, I respectfully yield to those who disagree or who have hard data to back up why arming more people helps. My opinion is it won't help, but that is my opinion (was that enough qualifiers? I can add others).

3. Dick Whitman

4. Dick Whitman

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

So in an effort not to seem 'old news,' the LA Times goes with--- not the fact of the killing--- but the voyeurism angle.

Written by the TV critic.

That's more offensive to me than the Daily News.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

9. Dick Whitman

10. Mr. Sunshine

Have to agree with Lugs. Spinning the "lead" into the voyeurism/televised aspect is pretty disrespectful. Also, I'm surprised the hometown paper only ran bulked-up mugs of the deceased.

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

12. Mr. Sunshine

Draft saved Draft deleted