1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Come Kiss the Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of this, and it could certainly change as the campaign goes on, but right now I can't think of a Republican whose chances for the nomination are better than Trump's. I am no longer convinced he will eventually self-destruct. Every time he says something you think will kill him, he gets stronger.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Current prediction markets have Jeb as substantially more likely to be the nominee than Trump. From 1.5X to 3X more likely.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jeb's chances are WAY closer to Sanders' than to Trump's.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It's a good thing there is a two-party system to tell people how to vote.

5. doctorquant

Well, you've got a helluva arbitrage opening there. Short Jeb (and Sanders), and buy, buy, buy. The payoff would be YUUUUGE!

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jeb is on his way down. He is exciting no one. His peak came when he announced.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to be the guy to cite John Yoo but everything I read about this suggests that the precedent is pretty clear, being born here makes you a citizen.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Trump's ultimate impact on the campaign will be to poison all other candidates. He already did it to Jeb -- played him into the "anchor babies" comment, which will destroy Jeb's hopes of making inroads with Latinos as the GOP had hoped. Then when Jeb tried to say that by "anchor babies" he meant all the Asians coming to our hospitals so their kids would be born citizens, he pissed off Asian groups too, PLUS it was disingenuous as hell and is not what anyone means when they say "anchor babies."

This happened in California when Meg Whitman was running for governor. She was saying nothing about immigration during the primaries until a rich guy named Steve Poizner kept hammering on immigration and made a huge run-up in the polls. So Meg had to get tough on immigration, which killed her with Latinos, which killed her in the general.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Jeb is easily the worst candidate in the Bush family.

I have no doubt he'd be a better president than his brother was, but man, watching him try to campaign is brutal.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's still early. This time in 2011, Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain were the frontrunners.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Daddy Bush is still eligible for another run.

12. doctorquant

LOL ... yeah, if you've lost John Yoo ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.