1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm sure you are making a point with all of these examples, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Regardless, it is interesting to see all the ways it is being played across the nation.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is my point.

I was seeing if the Wall Street Journal coverage was an anomaly or not among large newspapers.

Obviously it was a very considered decision on the paper's part to put it inside like that.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get any deeper into this thread, but I'll just say it's beyond tacky that its front-page presence on this event is written by the "television critic."

schiezainc likes this.
  5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Written by the TV critic... So she can tell us if it's good TV ??

... And with the lede "To watch or not to watch."

This is not an episode of Grey's Anatomy. Give me a motherfucking break, LA Times.

schiezainc likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

No, no.

Guns are the main problem.

But due to the Constitution, there's little we can do about them. Mental health, education, and every other solution is just another Plan B.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Ah, understood. I couldn't tell if you were saying the papers that played it on the front were sensationalizing it or were doing it better than the WSJ. I know you fear excessive coverage can create copycats, so I thought this might have been examples of that.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Watching the network affiliates and their 10 o'clock news shows last night it struck me how much they promote their early morning shows. It just felt eerie seeing those last night and thinking of yesterday's tragedy.

9. Dick Whitman

Right. I do believe that. And I thought that maybe the WSJ is coming around to that idea, too.

Starman likes this.
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Isn't the Wall Street Journal a different bird, though? It's mainly a national financial publication, and this week is a pretty unusual week in financial markets. The WSJ is not a "general interest" newspaper like the rest of the ones you posted. It is not USA Today.

schiezainc likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

I think that's overblown. When big news breaks, it covers it like everyone else.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Really went with "To watch or not to watch." ???

I laughed but not because it's funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted