1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Come Kiss the Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

It must be very tough to campaign when your primary reason for being on the stage, i.e. familial legacy, is also completely toxic to any chance you have of winning.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

According to Real Clear Politics average of the polls, on this date in 2011, Rick Perry led the Republican field at 21.0 percent, followed by Romney (18.5), Ron Paul (9.7), Bachmann (9.5) Newt Gingrich (5.5) and Cain (5.0).

Here's the difference. Perry, Cain, Bachman (who never led, BTW -- her peak was a distant No. 2 behind Romney (24.2-14.0) in July 2011), etc., all had a spike, but it rose and fell quickly. Trump's path so far looks most like Romney's -- consistently the leader (or in Romney's case, at worst a strong second) in every poll. He's made it through a debate. He's survived the kind of controversial statements that have quickly destroyed others -- and his numbers keep rising.

Small, you're right. It's way early and anything can happen. But a lot has already happened, and here Trump is.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm having a hard time seeing what he could say or do that could derail him. Maybe another candidate will surge, but it seems to me that's going to be a tough climb.

2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination | RealClearPolitics

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't see why Trump winning the GOP nomination would be such an outlandish proposition. Isn't this the problem the GOP faces in governor and congressional races across the country -- the disconnect between popularity with the base and electability in the non-GOP population?

The other thing about comparing to previous moon-shot candidates is they were all dependent on fundraising, so when party leaders decided to dry up the money, that was it. No such concerns for Trump.

He's probably comparable to Perot more than anybody, except Perot jumped in late and was never ahead.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Trump also has the advantage that people have "known" him for 25 years. Most of the negatives are baked in. I don't know what he or another candidate could say that would change that, short of Trump ripping Reagan at the Reagan library debate....even then.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This may be just me, but I don't see Trump as all that reflective of "the base."

7. amraeder

The source of fivethirtyeight's pessimism: A lot of Republicans don't like Trump (pull is only of Republicans):
    [​IMG]

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, considering Republican governors outnumber Democrats 31-18, and the GOP controls both houses of Congress (including its largest House majority since 1928), I don't think the Republicans really have a problem winning governor and congressional races across the country right now.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And yet he leads in the "First Choice" category.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He isn't. But see my earlier post -- they see him as being able to get things done, whereas the "real" conservative candidates talk a good game, then do nothing.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. amraeder

Yes. But that's not the point. The point is that with a lot of republicans not liking him, he might be 20%'s first choice, but those unfavorable ratings will kill him when the field narrows and everyone whose first choice is gone needs to find another candidate. It gives him a ceiling that's lower than someone who's only looked at unfavorably by 9% of Republicans.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

One of the key questions is whether can he maintain a lead once the large field starts to winnow down and supporters of candidates who have dropped out must choose a new horse to back. Trump's negative polling numbers seem to indicate that he would falter in a smaller field.

sgreenwell and amraeder like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.