1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Based on my limited time there, not a whole hell of a lot.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying, and I don't think you are wrong. But I definitely have not decided I'm OK with it and I hope I'm not alone.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Answer the question. Would those laws, which unquestionably would make it more difficult to carry out gun violence, make the country better? It's your premise ... defend it.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem. We've had guns legally for so long, it's going to be difficult to undo that.

We saw that with alcohol and Prohibition and the negative consequences that were borne out of making a formerly legal product illegal.

Maybe the best we can hope for are much stricter restrictions on future purchases. Would it have kept this guy from buying a gun on 6/19 to commit this crime on 8/26? Maybe not. Probably not.

But, something needs to happen, even if it's just small, incremental steps. What's happening in this country every day is simply ridiculous.

5. schiezainc

If only the two reporters had been armed, locked and loaded and ready to shoot anyone who came their way, while on live TV no less, we wouldn't have had such a tragedy yesterday.
    #NRALogic

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much at peace with it now. Solutions must come, but they will not come by way of restricting gun ownership any more than the reduction in drunk driving deaths came by way of banning cars or alcohol.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Why would criminals bother to go through the trouble?

8. schiezainc

They absolutely would. 100 percent.
    But, in the process, they would drastically and unreasonably encroach on the individual freedoms of American citizens going about their day-to-day lives.
    Now, tell me exactly how laws blocking Americans from buying a Bushmaster XM15-E2S Glock 20SF encroach on their individual freedoms.

9. Dick Whitman

Because they don't sell guns in Chicago.

10. Dick Whitman

Because they like them.

I like gin.

I hope they don't ban gin again.

I'm sure others don't think such a ban would encroach on my freedoms.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nah ... not my argument.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

But if they're illegal, wouldn't they just stop shooting people?

Draft saved Draft deleted