1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Not at all, but I don't think that is the road I'm on. I'm sure you are probably referring to the car analogy, but I don't think the two are as analogous as you might. Cars have a purpose apart from destruction. Guns do not. I am in favor of banning something that only has the purpose of hurting someone or something and can be used irresponsibly.

schiezainc likes this.
  2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I am banned from doing it.
    Not sure where you live but jerking off in the middle of a sidewalk is frowned upon (and illegal) in most parts of american society.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sure they do. People like to shoot at targets. It's sport.

4. schiezainc

Oh. Well. That settles it.
    "Sorry your child died ma'am but, if it's any consolation, some people in the next town over are having a great afternoon shooting at paper targets and competing for medals so, you know, the day's not a total loss."

5. Dick Whitman

It doesn't settle it, but it's inaccurate to say that their only purpose is destruction. It's not.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They're also useful for convincing people of bad will to put down the gun that people of bad will who don't care what laws say tend to have.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I know you are only pointing out that guns have a purpose besides destruction, but guns weren't invented so they could be shot at targets. They were invented to kill. Cars weren't invented to kill. They were invented to transport.

schiezainc likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but they don't tend to have them in England and France and Spain and Canada and so forth and so on.

9. Dick Whitman

How is that relevant?

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

How is the fact that guns were invented to kill relevant on a thread about a man using a gun to kill two people and himself that predictably spiraled into a second amendment/gun control debate?

11. schiezainc

Not quite sure where in the second amendment it says Americans have a right to skeet shoot.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Still waiting for you to show us how all the guns are going to disappear first. Banning guns won't solve anything because the guns won't go away. That's my point.

old_tony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted