1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Baron thinks you're ridiculous.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, not legally anyway.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why aren't bombs and grenades legal for the everyday American citizen?

schiezainc likes this.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I never said guns are going to disappear or that all guns would go away. I only said that I believed fewer guns in the general public would equate to fewer shootings. I think a way to limit the number of guns available to the general public is to ban them. In none of my posts did I say repealing the second amendment and banning guns would cure America of all gun-related deaths. I only hypothesized that it would reduce those killed by guns. I think even saving one innocent life is worth Jim Bob not getting to shoot bottles off his fence posts.

schiezainc likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Would you ban the cops from carrying guns on a daily basis?

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I haven't put much thought into this aspect of it, although I know it is a relevant issue. I hesitate to take firearms out of the hands of those who put themselves in harm's way for, ideally, our protection. But again, I don't think I have an answer for this one.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

But there would be no more harm if guns were illegal.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Well this obviously isn't true. People have many ways of hurting each other. Guns are only the most immediate and deadly. Even if every gun magically vanished, police would still be putting themselves in harm's way.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

That's always been my question about the Second Amendment, ever since I studied the Constitution in U.S. History class in high school: how can a law written about guns being allowed for militia be interpreted as anyone can own a gun? I'm conservative and have a number of conservative friends who hunt. If I asked them, I'm betting they would say they are allowed to have a gun for hunting because the Second Amendment says they can. I just don't get how the amendment can be so widely interpreted to mean anyone when it specifically mentions militia. To me militia in modern society would mean law enforcement, armed forces and security people. But I know plenty, especially conservatives, who would passionately disagree.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where does it say in the First Amendment that you specifically have a right to curse?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What they were invented for isn't relevant. Their usage has evolved. People shoot them for sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted